HDMI and USB Virtual COM Port not working

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by donhuntley, Dec 6, 2013.

1. donhuntley

donhuntley New Member

Just received my Udoo Quad. There is no HDMI output and my attempt to connect via VCP has not been successful. I'm running 64-bit Windows 7, and I followed the steps outlined in "Connecting via Serial from Windows" including installing CP210x USB to UART Bridge VCP Driver. Putty doesn't recognize any of the com ports (COM1-9). Even though the Control Panel indicates that CP210x USB to UART Bridge VCP Driver was installed, there is no entry in the USB portion of registry with the parameter "PortName," which according to the CP210x documentation should be there. An alternate VCP driver or any help would be appreciated.

2. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

Hi Don

In Device Manager, under 'Ports' do you see 'Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge (Com4)' (or equivalent)?

You may need to check under Device Manager, View that 'Show Hidden Devices' is checked and I find the 'Devices by type' to be the easiest to navigate.

I use Putty and it's fine but as I'm sure you know most of these sorts of issues are driver related so best to check that driver is in there, even with the UDOO disconnected (hence 'show hidden devices' for this test).

3. donhuntley

donhuntley New Member

Ports doesn't show up under Device Manager. I did do Action->Add Legacy Hardware, where the Silicon Labs driver does show up under Ports; however after I install it, it tells me it was installed, but the device can not start (Code 10)

4. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

Ports doesn't show up? Strange.

In View menu (of Device Manager), you have 'Devices by type' selected with 'show hidden devices' checked? That should show everything.

Edit: Yep, just confirmed Win7 Device Manager should show you the Ports if you do as I've just listed.

5. donhuntley

donhuntley New Member

Removed everything and reinstalled. Silicon Labs... now shows up under devices/ports (COM & LPT); however it still tells me the device could not start (Code 10)

6. donhuntley

donhuntley New Member

It helps to plug the cable into a powered-up UDOO before enabling the driver. The driver is now functional, but my UDOO is a brick. Nothing on serial console

7. jdonavan

jdonavan New Member

Make sure to cycle the power on the Udoo after you've opened your com program.

8. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

yea once connected via putty, you may have to press 'enter' to kick the session in. then power up the board and you should see the serial output