Projects

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rpgnick, Jun 29, 2013.

1. rpgnick

rpgnick New Member

Hey all!

I'm wondering, does anyone already have a great project in mind for their UDOO board? I'll probably use it to play around with home automation, expect to be living on my own in a few months. What are your plans?

To the board administators; it might be an idea to create a 'Projects' board, where every user with a project can post their own project and other users can reply, to keep things a little more organised.

2. knightschade

knightschade New Member

Looking to make a car PC that will control some basic functions like HVAC controls, Radio/entertainment, and also navigation.

3. knightschade

knightschade New Member

I would like to use it for an android based car pc. to control HVAC systems using the arduino, as well as navigation, and music. How many things can the device do at once? For instance I would want all three to be working simultaneously. I wouldn't want my AC to turn off, when I have music playing and the navigation screen on.

4. chuckjaxfl

chuckjaxfl New Member

I'm planning on embedding mine in the beer brewing system I'm building. The Arduino side read sensors (DS18B20 temp & MPX2010DP volume), control temps w/ the PID library, run the timers & control the valves. I intend to use the RPi to build the control interface.

5. Mozer

Mozer New Member

I am planning on creating something similar as Knightshade is planning. I want to create a car pc which handles all sorts of functions like music/radio, navigation but also car performance and some external functions.

However, I properbly will buy a second UDOO board (properbly the quad instead of the dual which I backed for) soon after I get my first one for another concept I am still working on:)

off topic:
    btw nice to see another person from the Netherlands out here on the forums, rpgnick ;)

6. htsauce

htsauce New Member

I have a few,

Udoo 3d printing

Car-puter, a/v hvac , odb2 display via bt Adapter, lock and alarm, gps, Kit jk jk,

To make a pump tank controle sys, w irrigation controle,

Another for security alarm and hoe automation,

Rc car adaptor kit, well, wifi rock crawler ,

Electronicly controled bike wighweaght stableizer and weaght shifting, possably remote controled,

And im shure note to come

7. juanakin

juanakin New Member

I have several:
    *Electrical power meter
    *connect a usb webcam and detect sound and movement. It can be used to observe a baby remotely.
    *NAS to upload my photos from my smartphone

8. sdempsay

sdempsay New Member

For now mine will be controlling my Christmas light show (via XBee). Once that is done, I really don't know.

9. firehopper

firehopper Member

I'm looking to use it for a 3d printer. Kossel mini (delta type printer)

it all depends on if I can get software to work properly

10. celtic762

celtic762 New Member

It didn't start out that way, but my quad is turning into a desktop replacement. My school board is looking into alternatives to windows 7 desktops. I'm going to bring my Udoo to the meeting. I know they'll all laugh at me until I turn it on :twisted:

11. jimmy k

jimmy k New Member

I'm a researcher at a university using a UDOO quad for combustion research.

12. EBrown

EBrown New Member

Assuming that the Udoo has all the required components I need, I'm going to be using it for multiple things. (Obviously I'll need multiple Udoo's.)

1. Automotive HUD/Control Center. I'm not planning on adding GPS or anything, as I don't want to have to add a GPS module to it, however I will if I need to. Basically I'm mounting a piece of plexiglass/lexan in front of my steering window above the dash and below the window, at a specific angle (most likely 33 degrees, that seems to be my optimum viewing point), mounting a display below it, then integrating the Udoo into EVERY sensor on my car. Speedometer, tachometer, odometer, indicator lights, fuel trim, fuel flow rate (for MPG), climate control (to adjust the heat and AC to keep the car at a specific temperature, similar to a home thermostat), my PATS system (to activate and deactivate the anti-theft system), my ignition (remote start and climate adjustment), and a few other things. I'm also going to make it log all of this to the MicroSD or SATA SSD (haven't decided yet, if I go the HDD/SSD option I will be going with an SSD as it's more resistant to hard forces.)

2. Home anti-theft/monitor system. I'm going to add sensors to every window and door on the exterior of the home, and some on the interior, to allow it to detect if someone is trying to break in. I'm also going to add motion detectors to the exterior of the home and add a weather monitoring system to the exterior of the home too. I may also even go so far as to adding CCTV and allowing monitoring of the CCTV's through every television in the house, though that won't be part of the Udoo system. I'll also be monitoring the usage of Propane, Water, and Electricity in the house. (I may even monitor specific devices with that, though I'm not sure how many GPIO's I will be using with this project with as much as I plan to add already.)

Thanks,
    EBrown