spam on this forum

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by tuxun, Aug 20, 2018.

1. tuxun

tuxun Member

i have already that some threat are pure spam, but i just discover than they also use their profile page to get ranked links... see image: they put "spam link" in description of their profile.

Attached Files:

2. tuxun

tuxun Member

"already noticed" where is that edit button? am i fool or?....

3. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

I alrady answered this question on the other thred but to be complete: :)
    Edit button has been removed due to spammers who are editing their harmless post to spammers. You can only delete your post and write it again....... :-(

4. schepers_cp

schepers_cp Member

it's a bit silly, as i use the edit button alot of forums, so i can update my main post with statusses of projects instead of posting it in potentially long threads, causing users to search unneeded. maybe reopen the edit button once a user has a certain reputation point given by the admins or valued members?

5. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

@Laura Is this an option to enable the edit button for a member only after for example 3 or 5 posts?

6. schepers_cp

schepers_cp Member

i would not do this automatically as once bots find this out.... but maybe manual approval would help alot, requires extra moderation though.

i would say if you want it autmated, to put the minimum to be at least 15 messages. that way one can observe the new users to check for suspicious behaviour.
    maybe add a security thing that if a valuable member (that has edit rights) reports a post of a new member the system won't autogrant the permission anymore if that user reaches the treshold, but must be asked manually to a mod?

7. LDighera

LDighera UDOOer

Report the violation of Udoo Terms Of Service to the spammer's service provider. Search for the Whois record of the offending URL on http://whois.com , and send a copy of the spam post to the technical and administrative contacts, and request that they stop future spamming from their domain. I know of no other way to deal with this issue. Free resources, such as this support forum, are always going to attract exploitive criminals; it's just human nature, unfortunately.

8. tuxun

tuxun Member

Usually a good captcha is enough for block spammer account creation on mediawiki installations. here there is also a two step account approval with email validation which could be used

9. schepers_cp

schepers_cp Member

why not add phone validation?