Minimal or full desktop?

Discussion in 'Linux Ubuntu' started by figleaf, Nov 16, 2013.

1. SoundChaos

SoundChaos New Member

If you are being serious about any of this, then the UDOO was definitely not intended for you. Maybe sometime in the future there will be more available links for "full feature" desktop OS's made by other users... I apologize for coming across as insulting, just trying to help explain things.

I cant help but feel that you are tolling this thread though, and frankly, there's nothing left to discuss without starting a bigger argument than this has already become.

2. figleaf

figleaf New Member

SoundChaos, this is the second time you accused me of trolling. Whereas, I have remained on topic the entire time.

I read the thread complaining there was no preinstalled package manager. I was shocked. That thread made me wary of what other essential packages are missing. Hypocritical of people in this thread arguing that preinstalled packages are not necessary as they can be downloaded but there is no preinstalled package manager. A catch 22 which should be fixed by the developers!

I should not have had to post this thread asking for a list of preinstalled packages. I learned by mistakeningly purchasing a pengpod "ubuntu" tablet that had linaro ubuntu preinstalled. Minimial desktop was very disappointing.

I do appreciate delba listing the preinstalled packages in this thread. However, this list should also be on the home page. False advertising to advertise ubuntu as the OS. Most linux users think of ubuntu as the x86 full desktop ubuntu. People purchasing BBB were disappointed linaro ubuntu is not even a graphical desktop! Ubuntu for ARM should be called linaro or linaro ubuntu. Correct the category in this forum from ubuntu linux to linaro ubuntu. Warn people it is not equivalent to ubuntu for x86. Warn people it is not a full desktop. Prevent people from mistakenly purchasing an Udoo to use as a desktop or a laptop with the lapdock.

SoundChaos, there is interest in using ARM devices as a desktop. There are numerous tutorials on youtube videos on using the raspberry pi and cubieboard2 with the lapdock. I am a member of both forums. The cubieboard forum discussed udoo can connect to a lapdock. Hence, my interest in the udoo.

Lack of support in the udoo community to make a desktop stifles this interest.

3. mkopack

mkopack Member

But you are the one in the wrong here... There IS a package manager, just not a GRAPHICAL one... You can certainly do apt-get from the command line to install packages. That is what package managers such as synaptic are actually doing behind the GUI....

You are also wrong in saying "it isn't really Ubuntu without having a full desktop"... There are server installs for Ubuntu that don't include ANY desktop at all! Again, if you want something, just install it! If this is so important to you, why don't you take the time to build up what you consider to be a "full desktop" and offer it up as an image for others? You certainly seem to be "in the know" when it comes to all the security concerns, which is why it puzzles those of us responding to you as to why you are against taking the 1 step (installing synaptic using apt-get) which would the allow you to get the rest of the way to what you want.

And the BBB was never intended to be a desktop replacement. The whole point of boards like the udoo and the BBB was for their IO capabilities... The GUI/display capabilities are just there to support that. The prime focus is on the IO pins. The pi isa. Bit different because it WAS intended to be a desktop (albeit a pretty slow one) that was cheap enough for kids to afford.

4. freebirds

freebirds New Member

I am not a programmer. I am a noobs at command line.

5. mkopack

mkopack Member

No better way to learn than by doing!

Following the instructions given to install
    Synaptic package manager GUI would get you Most of the way there. The. It's just pick what you want to have installed from the GUI.

6. figleaf

figleaf New Member

I thank DracoLlasa for recommending a PCDuino. I purchased one and look forward to using it.

7. celtic762

celtic762 New Member

Wow what a waste of time reading this thread. I was definitely sucked in by the drama however.

I'll just say that most of the issues brought forward are covered by the quad version of the board and by hooking up a hard drive. This amounts to a $60.00 premium over the entry level Udoo. The cost is still under $200, still an incredible value! I am immensely pleased with the quad Udoo and it has been a fascinating trip configuring it and building an enclosure with thermal control. My Udoo goes back and forth with me to work me every day and it has essentially replaced my desktop. All my desktop does now is run the SmartBoard in my class. As I see it one issue remains that I'll look into this week and that is Flash Player, but that will be solved by the end of week. Then I'll start working on getting it to talk to the SmartBoard. Once that is done the desktop will be good for playing DVDs only.

WiFi works well so my school network is available and the IT guys are looking into developing a profile for Linux distros so that I can hook into the network via Ethernet. At home I have the option of wireless or Ethernet connection to my router. It connects to my printer via WiFi and both keyboard and mouse are standard Logitech wireless jobs. All in all compared to where Ubuntu was when first looked at in ver 5 the operating system has matured quite a bit and is believe it or not much friendlier.

For a dev board that has been comming out of the reflow oven for two months I think the Udoo is just short of being miraculously good. It by far exceeds my expectations. As well development pace and support are right where they should be. It us definitely :ugeek:

Cheers
    Marc F.

8. figleaf

figleaf New Member

Celtic762 wrote: "ll just say that most of the issues brought forward are covered by the quad version of the board and by hooking up a hard drive. "

None of the issues are covered by the quad. That is why I did not purchase a quad. Price was not an issue. A hard drive does not solve the problem either. As discussed in this thread a 8 GB micro SD card suffices.

The issue raised in the thread complaining of the lack of a package manager GUI and the issues raised in my thread asking for a list of preinstalled GUI packages and then asking for more preinstalled GUI packages is not solved by the quad. Linaro Ubuntu for the quad does not have any more preinstalled packages than linaro for the Dual.

Udoo clearly expressed in this thread no intent on preinstalling more GUI packages. I explained reasons why I didn't want to install packages myself including lack of a checksum. Hence, I purchased a PCDuino which has linaro ubuntu preinstalled with more GUI packages.

Celtic762, perhaps if other members expressed a desire to use the udoo as a desktop replacement, udoo will be motivated to preinstall more packages.

9. TheJRT

TheJRT New Member

as everyone is trying to tell you this is NOT a desktop replacement, its a development board, its like asking for a car to float... this seems only a fuss, again as people have said your desktop might not be what i want or what someone else wants, its not stated that UDOO has a full wonderful and majestic fully made desktop, this is a few months old board, what do you expect ?? Furthermore i dont know how to program, i had no linux experience and i knew nothing about development boards till 3 weeks ago, following tutorials and with community help i managed to understand the basics and easily manage to install programs from the repository both via the terminal and synaptic i find your fusses quite ridiculous but that only my point of view...

have a nice day
    JRT