Debian 7 "wheezy" armhf "maximal" has arrived

Discussion in 'Debian' started by ndzinn, Dec 14, 2013.

1. ndzinn

ndzinn New Member

Thanks to the Udoo team, Debian 7 "wheezy" armhf "maximal" arrived on December 12. Here are my comments from a posting on a different topic:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=470&start=20

The LXDE GUI on wheezy is light and snappy ... suitable for a single board computer. There is software in abundance via APT. Ubuntu is "billed" as a "desktop OS". Linaro is a port of a desktop OS to ARM, an interesting concept with lots of corporate support. It worked and it was fun, but there were a few problems. Identifying monitors correctly was one I experienced frustratingly. Even though Udoo is the strongest single board ARM computer I've used, LXDE on Debian seems (a subjective judgment) closer to the snappiness of a desktop experience to me than Gnome or Unity (especially Unity) on top of Ubuntu. Just an opinion.

BTW, and most important, wheezy is just as fast with hard floats as Linaro (follow the link above).

2. firehopper

firehopper Member

it still needs work for what I want to do though, the max has poor hardware graphics. it still seems to use mesa software drivers. and theres broken packages yet, and of course no android ide yet.

3. profoundWHALE

profoundWHALE New Member

For anyone who is stuck at a login screen at any time for whatever reason, the login is
    login: debian
    password: debian

Also, don't try to change sources.list to jessie unless you like not booting into a graphical desktop.

4. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

Yep, we need to work to improve the Debian distro. That's why we marked as Beta. Both minimal and Desktop versions miss some important tools (e.g. Arduino IDE). We're very happy to read any kind of issues you'll find, that's our aim actually. ;)

5. rcfgnu

rcfgnu New Member

I there is an img to download and try ?