Boot from USB

Discussion in 'UDOO QUAD' started by jerrino77, May 13, 2018.

1. jerrino77

jerrino77 UDOOer

Hello all, i've seen the tutorial for booting images from SATA, but i'm tryin to boot images from USB drive. Is it possible to do that? I can't modify u-boot env properly. Could someone help me?
    Thanks

2. fetcher

fetcher Member

As far as I can tell booting from USB flash is not possible. U-Boot appears to lack drivers for the i.MX6 USB host (and OTG) controllers, and even if those existing, initializing usb-storage from that limited environment probably isn't feasible. The closest thing would be to load a kernel and initrd from micro-SD, then pivot to a root filesystem on USB, which should work similiarly to doing the same with a SATA drive as root filesystem - see past discussions here of that.

The i.MX6 CPU has a USB "serial downloader" mode, described on page 393 IMX6DQRM.pdf, for spooling in a boot image from a computer, but that seems intended for recovering a bricked device (onboard flash corrupted - not applicable to Udoo) or initial factory setup. It seems to require chanigng BOOT_MODE pullup/pulldown resistors, and wouldn't work with a simple USB flash stick in any case.