UDOO X86 + MCP2515 CAN module on Ubuntu

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by remotejon, Nov 26, 2018.

1. remotejon

remotejon New Member

Hi,
    My first post in this forum. It is nice to be apart of the UDOO community.
    My question is about a MCP2515 module board. This runs over SPI. I have successfully connected it to the onboard pins and all the right leds are telling me its happy. My question is around how to add CAN0 to the Ubuntu config. On a Raspberry Pi, you would go to /boot/config.txt and add the following lines:
    Code:
    dtparam=spi=on
    dtoverlay=mcp2515-can0-overlay,oscillator=16000000,interrupt=25
    dtoverlay=spi-bcm2835-overlay

Could somebody point me in the right direction on Ubuntu. The /boot/config.txt doesn't exist.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2018
  2. ektor5

ektor5 Administrator Staff Member

Hi there @remotejon and welcome to the UDOO Forum,

Unfortunately, UDOO X86 main CPU doesn't have an SPI interface, so is not possible to do that in Ubuntu without an external SPI interface.

However, the embedded Arduino 101 actually have SPI on pins 10~13 (and maybe you already tried to attach the module to it).
    What you need to do is to write an Arduino sketch that communicates through SPI and provide a way to exchange data with the main processor through the internal serial interface.

Here's a simple library for the MCP2515:
    https://github.com/autowp/arduino-mcp2515

Please note that the Arduino pins are 3.3V compliant, don't provide any voltage higher than that.

Best Regards,
    Ek5

3. remotejon

remotejon New Member

Thank you very much @ektor5
    Once I have something working, I will put it here for the next person who needs the info.