performance of the QUAD Board

Discussion in 'UDOO QUAD' started by battosai81, Nov 28, 2018.

1. battosai81

battosai81 New Member

Good evening, I want to use the QUAD Board as a server, how long the Board can be on.

regards

2. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

As long as the OS (probably Linux) will advice you. I see here Linux servers running 1 year without reboot.....
    There is no hardware need to switch off the Udoo Quad if you keep the temperature within operating limits (and your keep your disk storage in order with proper housekeeping, your power supply stable etc.)

3. fetcher

fetcher Member

I've had an Udoo Quad in this role for over three years now, acting as a small NFS + DLNA file server as well as the household router, firewall (using a small 802.1q switch for VLAN separation), Asterisk phone system, home automation controller, music player (via SPDIF), and datalogger for weather sensors and the solar power system, among other odds and ends. It's performed well overall.

One performance constraint of the main i.MX6 CPU, which may or may not matter depending on what you want to do, is that it isn't able to saturate the full capacity of a Gigabit Ethernet connection, instead maxing out at around 400Mb/s. This is greater than the usable bandwidth of a USB 2.0 bus, so If you plan to serve files primarily from external USB storage, that will be the bottleneck rather than the Ethernet NIC. The i.MX6 NIC also isn't able to use Jumbo frames to boost speed-- its highest supported MTU (even with a patched driver) is somewhere around 2000, not enough above the default 1500 to really bother with.

Be sure to use the kernel version 3.14.56 or higher (as bundled with "Udoobuntu"), rather than the older 3.0.35 from when the Udoo Quad was first released. For a long time I stayed with 3.0.35, since I wanted to continue with Debian (vs Ubuntu) and had a lot of custom kernel hacks to carry forward, but 3.0.35 turns out to have a stability problem that could cause occasional random crashes or memory corruption when large amounts of data were being moved around-- copying ~100GB between drives would usually trigger this, as would letting "memtester 512M 20" run for an hour or two.

3.14.56 appears to have fixed that, though, and has been rock-solid for me even under heavy load. I ended up transplanting only the kernel and X server binaries & drivers from Udoobuntu onto my Debian (7.11) install. The X bits had to updated due to kernel version incompatibilities with the binary-only Vivante driver.

4. battosai81

battosai81 New Member

Thank you very much for the advice, it is clear to me I will not have any problems, besides I would only be on 10 hours a day and I would only share files (documents, video, music).

5. System Error Message

System Error Message New Member

I would like to add that the Udoo is only lacking RAM but is not bad on the CPU part. Comparing the performance, i once ran a MIPS from ubiquiti ERPRO as a transparent squid cache, 1 core of that MIPS which is actually faster than the ARM A9 that the udoo quad used could manage 80Mb/s of squid, however the ARM A9 on the udoo is a quad core but at the same 1Ghz frequency so 1 core would be slower but you have 4 of them, so i'd say as a server to compliment your network for doing things like squid, IDS/IPS it'd be pretty good up to 200Mb/s of internet, even if you ran a pre transcoded basic media/NAS server it'd still do a decent job with gigabit ethernet,

As a mini server it is good and im setting mine up for that too and am gonna try and see if i can set up distcc on it because i dont have the cash and time to complete my quadcopter (not only are the motors pricey but also the motor drivers too that modulate the power to motors, cant use the udoo for that). I hate to leave hardware idle but i will be sure to push the hardware to its limits. I cant comment on using it as a NAS because i already have 2 self built NAS from used hardware with 10Gb/s networking (SFP+ direct all around). I chose SFP+ because unlike 10Gb/s ethernet you dont have to worry about cable issues.