Several varying questions

Discussion in 'Debian' started by schmidtbag, Dec 16, 2013.

1. schmidtbag

schmidtbag New Member

I just got the UDOO Quad the other day and so far I'd say I prefer the debian variant the most. There are a few problems/questions I have though - note that I have tried linux on 3 other ARM platforms.

1. Is there a way to edit uboot using a boot partition, and is there a sample mkimage script I can generate? I saw the Arch instruction on it, but it's very vague and doesn't explain whether or not it uses a boot partition
    2. Why am I not able to mount the SD card on another system? I seemed to get this issue with ubuntu and debian specifically, though Arch never had this issue.
    3. The display works fine, but it's stuck at 1080p when my display is 1366x768. The image is basically scaled down, but it's a little blurry because of it. Is there a way to force the screen resolution to be smaller? I'm sure this would be doable if there is an answer to my first question.
    4. I heard the Freescale CPUs have OpenGL support as well as GLES, but glxgears fails. Any ideas?
    5. I have a USB touchscreen panel (eGalax) which works on other ARM platforms, but not the UDOO. I installed the official drivers for it (which work with the 2.6 kernel and higher) but that didn't help. What I find particularly strange about this touch panel is I have an x86 Arch setup that doesn't have the drivers for it but it works anyway (unless the open source drivers were included in one of the newer kernels)
    6. And that leads me to my last question - any news on running a kernel newer than 3.0, preferably with working video drivers? Doing so may fix my problem #5.

If upgrading to debian jessie is known to solve any of my problems, I'm definitely willing to make the upgrade. I appreciate any answers, I know this is a lot to ask.

2. saidol

saidol New Member

Hi schmidtbag,
    quickly reply, hope someone can help you in depth.

1. Yes you can edit u-boot environment variable from boot partition. google for the a tool called fw_setenv. You can also use mkimage script, I know uDOO team is working on sample script, but don't know when it will be released.

2. It is not normal, uSD should be mountable under other linux system. Are you trying to mount under linux or windows ? ... as first debug step look at uSD partition tables: fdisk -l /dev/sda

3. Look for HDMI issue in the forum and in the blog: http://www.udoo.org/hdmi-issues-trouble ... -released/ (comment 1 shoud be good for you).

4. In ubuntu glxgears works well, don't know under debian system.

5. I've just enabled an usb touchscreen from 3M and it works. Have you enabled "eGalax, eTurboTouch CT-410/510/700 device support",
    under "<*> USB Touchscreen Driver" section in current kernel source tree (3.0.35)?

Cheers
    Giuseppe

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag New Member

1. Ok, I'll look into it. I may just wait for the sample script - in my experiences with beagleboard, it becomes an incredibly tedious process to modify them by hand. Editing the uboot environment isn't a really high priority of mine, but I feel like it would help fix my screen resolution problem.
    2. I only try to mount under linux. I get the error message:
    Code:
    wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdd1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try dmesg | tail or so. 
    3. I saw both the thread and the troubleshooting procedure but neither really helped - those seem to be specifically for people who can't get a working display at all. Mine works, just at the wrong resolution. The thing is, I have a generic LVDS board, so it probably doesn't know the actual screen size to my LCD panel. I tried using xrandr but I either get profile errors or gamma errors.
    4. Hmm.... I may have to take a closer look at that then. I'd prefer to avoid Ubuntu since it comes with a lot more clutter I don't care about. Thanks for the tip though.
    5. I'm not sure how to do that. Shamefully, while I've been using linux for almost 7 years, I rarely did anything kernel specific beyond boot flags.

Thanks a lot for the response.

4. saidol

saidol New Member

2. Seems a missing file system support ... maybe file system on uSd is ext4 and you do not have support on the host ? Otherwise there is something wrong with your uSD.

3. Sorry I understood it was an hdmi display. To use LVDS panel try the option in the bootargs:
    video=mxcfb0:dev=ldb,LDB-WXGA@60,if=RGB666

If it doesn't work you have to modify kernel source and add display parameters in this file:
    https://github.com/UDOOboard/Kernel_Uni ... /mxc/ldb.c
    and recompile

Cheers
    Giuseppe

5. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

in the latest uboot. don't forget you can 'editenv mmcargs' which makes it easy, then 'saveenv' and 'boot'.

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag New Member

2. I have 2 linux systems booting off of EXT4, both using different card readers, different desktop environments, with different file browsers. I'm pretty sure the problem is because the first 8MB contains the bootloader data, but there is no filesystem there, so maybe the file browsers don't know where the beginning of the filesystem really is. I think if there was a FAT16 partition to contain the files, it might fix the problem (and would also make things easier when customizing uboot). There isn't anything wrong with the uSD card because I'm able boot from them just fine in the UDOO for hours, and reformating it doesn't cause problems. I'd like to point out that I am able to read the uSD card if I decide to install Arch.
    3. No, it is an HDMI display. It's an LVDS board with an HDMI header (as well as others) and I have it attached to HDMI. But the board is generic, so it probably accepts higher resolutions whether or not the LCD panel itself does. That being said, I don't think there's a way to detect the screen resolution, so I need to force it to be lower. Recompiling that lbd.c file might be my only option (unless someone has a better idea). I'd much rather use xrandr but I'm not very verse in it.

7. EBrown

EBrown New Member

The MicroSD card is supposed to be formatted as FAT32 to begin with. I assume it's due to the problem you are experiencing. (Fat32 it a simpler, smaller, less powerful file system, which may be why it works better with this system.)

Do you have a GUI? You should be able to open a monitor configuration window and set it lower. You could always try:

Code:
    xrandr -s 1366x768
    Thanks,
    EBrown

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag New Member

I used dd with both the ubuntu and debian disk images, so they generated the 8MB blank "boot partition" and the roughly 6GB EXT4 partition. I have used several other ARM platforms in the past where it uses a small FAT16 for boot and EXT4 for the OS, and both were easily accessible. As I said, if I format the SD card for Arch (for the UDOO), I can read the EXT4 partition fine.

I could've sworn I tried xrandr -s but I'll try again. On that note, I noticed Ubuntu worked with openGL just fine (at least if I logged into GNOME 2D). I could not get openGL to work in debian - only GLES. That being said, maybe Ubuntu has some other tweak to it that'll get xrandr to work properly.

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag New Member

Hmm so I found the ubuntu disk image will mount successfully now. I'm not sure what I did. No luck with debian, but considering opengl doesn't work on that either, I don't think I'm going to bother with it - seems a little too broken.

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag New Member

So I'm still getting issues using xrandr to change the resolution. I've done the following:
    Code:
    cvt 1280 720 60
    xrandr --newmode "1280x720_60" ######## (modeline settings)
    xrandr --addmode default 1280x720_60
    xrandr --output default --mode 1280x720_60
    I tried the same for refresh rate of 59 and 58 and still got nothing. It always comes out with a result saying "configure crtc 0 failed" or "failed to change the screen configuration".

Any suggestions?