more cameras

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tmaros, Dec 18, 2013.

1. tmaros

tmaros New Member

Hello everyone!

I am high school physics teacher from Ljubljana, Slovenia. Me, my colleagues and our students are working on some kind of space probe. We have successfully launched it couple of times, but this time would like to repeat it with more cameras. I am interested if it is possible to attach i.e. 4 camera modules to udoo board and save HD movies to external memory? It would be fantastic to watch stereoscopic movie of our beautiful Earth, taken on 30 km above :)

Best regards and thank you for your help in advance,
    Tim

2. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

First UDOO in 'space'! (you're still well in the Stratosphere that low)

What sort of cameras did you have in mind? Easiest would be IP wired cameras or USB, you can easily have a few of those.

They could supplement the CSI 5MP camera which has a dedicated connector.

3. juanakin

juanakin New Member

Hi,

This week I have succeeded in capturing images from USB webcam with fsweb and motion.

Basically, before you connect a webcam it exists the file /dev/video0, I suppose that it is related to the CSI camera. In my UDOO there is nothing connected but I could get an image (vertical bars with colors).

When you connect a USB WEBCAM it appears /dev/video1.

I can use this file to get captures with fswebcam and motion. I has done some research and it seems that it is possible to capture video with ffmpeg or mencoder.

I thing that you can try to connect more than 1 USB webcam (if you have used all USB ports I suppose you can use a USB HUB).

Finally, It is a good application, right now I am working in:
    * record video and audio at same time (I have not found a way to do it
    * Detect motion or sound activity.
    * Save into a video file and do some action (send mail, update a websever installed in the udoo...)

It would be wonderfull if you provide us any news about your project,

Regards

4. tmaros

tmaros New Member

5. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

Hi Tim

Very nice, great work.

You're more than welcome to post about your project. Depending on post content we might move it in the future.

6. andcmp

andcmp New Member

Hi tmaros,

your project is more then welcome here on UDOO community, we always looking for cool projects that take advance of UDOO's potentialities.

Basically, UDOO features a dedicated camera connector and 3 USB ports (2 standard USB-A + 1 that requires a special adapter) so you should be able to plug a total of 4 cameras.

Keep us updated, this is going to be a featured project for sure!

7. Flamenawer

Flamenawer Member

I have 4 USB ports(2microUSB) + dedicated port camera= 5 cameras,no?

8. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

The UDOO has 2 ready to use USB ports, it has a 3 USB port that can be connected via the pins at J24. you can buy these cables online or as part of both the cable accessory kits int he UDOO store. That will give you 3 USB ports.

Those micro usb ports are for systematic things, one (CN6) is a serial out interface, the other(CN3) is a USB-OTG, either can be used for a USB Camera