Audio Pinouts & Codec?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DonGateley, Sep 11, 2013.

1. DonGateley

DonGateley New Member

I'd like to know what audio codec is used in the UDOO.

Thanks

2. Mozer

Mozer New Member

3. DonGateley

DonGateley New Member

Re: Audio Codec?

Thanks, Mozer. Darned if I can find a datasheet for that. I've contacted VIA so we shall see.

Are there any schematics available for the UDOO? That would tell me what I need to know. Unfortunately the block diagram is hazy around that. Basically I need to know where "Mic_in" connects to the codec. Whether it is mono or stereo and whether it is specific to microphones with the gain they need or if it is line level. I need also to know whether "Speaker_out" is line or headphone. Schematics for the UDOO and the datasheet for the codec would disclose all that.

Basically I need something that can accept stereo line in, allow the processor to stream it in for DSP modification and then send it back out to 'phones.

Thanks

4. firehopper

firehopper Member

schematics arent available yet. but a post said in 2 weeks.. so keep watching

5. DonGateley

DonGateley New Member

Thanks, firehopper. I will be watching with crossed fingers. I so want this to be able to perform the simple functions I need.

6. mkopack

mkopack Member

7. firehopper

firehopper Member

Wow. downloading and drooling over :)

8. jimmnh

jimmnh New Member

Yes. Been reading. Didn't see all the hidden goodies until now. :D

9. DonGateley

DonGateley New Member

Thanks, mkopack. Bad news I'm afraid for my application. Line in to the codec is not connected and I can't get the manufacturer to even acknowledge my request for datasheet and design info to see whether or not mic inputs can handle line levels. What's with these chip guys, they really don't want to tell you anything unless they know you're good for 100,000 units. I don't know how hard it would be to mod the board to connect line_in to the mic jacks instead and disconnect the bias but modding these high density boards can be impossible.

More bad news on output. They bring line_out to the jack rather than hp_out. Ah, well; so close yet so far.

Jumpers, jumpers, jumpers!

10. r4v5

r4v5 New Member

There were rumors of the $500k stretch goal letting them redesign it and break out the I2S pins. Is that the case? Should be almost plug-and-play with a Linux-supported codec board. Alternately, there are some pretty cheap USB audio devices that do line in and headphone out.

What's your intended usage? I've been hoping one of these little SBCs would be the perfect thing for ham radio SDR, but there always seems to be a wrench in the works somewhere.

11. r4v5

r4v5 New Member

There were rumors of the $500k stretch goal letting them redesign it and break out the I2S pins. Is that the case? Should be almost plug-and-play with a Linux-supported codec board. Alternately, there are some pretty cheap USB audio devices that do line in and headphone out.

What's your intended usage? I've been hoping one of these little SBCs would be the perfect thing for ham radio SDR, but there always seems to be a wrench in the works somewhere.

12. DonGateley

DonGateley New Member

I want to apply some selectable DSP transforms for headphone listening I've developed which includes the mapping of one device's measured audio signature quite convincingly to another. This is mainly for a portable demo to try and attract investment in a dedicated pocket device and/or Android app. The most general setup for demo purposes would be line/phone in to phone out. The current design is wired wrong for both ends of that even though it is capable of it.

I would think there might be general interest in a version that does line/'phone-in to 'phone-out instead of mic-in to line-out as it is currently wired. I know people find jumpers to be anathema and there is probably no room for them but a jumper pair or a switch on input and another on output to select between these options along with driver support if necessary would be a really useful generalization.

I2S would also be _very_ cool but to do what I need, no additional hardware is really necessary. Is there a place just for stretch suggestions?

13. BenL

BenL New Member

It doesn't seem to be a rumor. This is what they say on the Kickstarter site:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/435 ... sts/498067

14. DonGateley

DonGateley New Member

How's about just bringing the audio codec's line-in and phone-out to through holes to which wires could be soldered? The instant they give access to those 4 pins I'm pre-ordering.

15. DonGateley

DonGateley New Member

Ah well. No response, no interest. S'long.

16. StreamingMeeMee

StreamingMeeMee New Member

+1

I too would pre-order today if S/PDIF were exposed on the board. Header preferred but even a solder pad would do.

17. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

18. Stark3

Stark3 New Member

Hi,

Sorry for reviving this thread, but this seemed to be the most appropriate place to ask my question :
    Which pins are for I2S output? The pinout diagram in the previous post clearly labels S/PDIF in and out, but no mention of BLCK, WSCLCK, and DATA lines for I2S.

Did I2S output through pin headers really make it through the stretch goals?

19. cyph3r

cyph3r New Member

Yeah I am also seriously interested in the answer to this question. What about the GPIOs e.g. 135, 139, 141 etc clearly labeled with digitial audio out in the pin out diagram? http://udoo.org/download/files/pinout/U ... iagram.pdf

Anyone familiar with these acronyms used there (TX/RXFS, R/TXD, R/TXC), looks like receive and transmit...?