SATA Hard drive not recognized

Discussion in 'UDOO QUAD' started by battosai81, Dec 1, 2018.

1. battosai81

battosai81 New Member

Good afternoon, I have a QUAD board, I am trying to install a 1Tb HDD SEAGATE BARRACUDA model ST1000DM003 of 3.5, I connect the SATA cable to the board and the 5Vd / 12Vdc but it does not recognize the board, good or you can hear the start sound of the HDD.

It is supposed that 3.5 HDD should also work, or there is some step that I need to complete.

Thank you.

2. battosai81

battosai81 New Member

I attach an image of the connections.
    The Raspberry Pi is not connected but a fan.

Attached Files:

3. fetcher

fetcher Member

Your power hookups look OK. It's not clear from your first post whether or not you can hear the HD spinning up, though - does it make a normal spin-up sound and then remain running, or no?

3.5" drives pull more power from +12V when first spinning up than during steady idle, and I'm thinking your external PSU might not have sufficient current capacity to accomodate this higher start-up demand, especially since you're also running the Udoo, some fans and a Raspberry Pi off the same supply. If possible, try testing with a second power supply dedicated to only the drive. A spare PC ATX supply can be used by jumping the green wire on its large 20 or 24-pin motherboard connector to ground (any black wire) to switch it on.

Insufficient current can sometimes result in a drive trying unsuccessfully to spin-up, over and over, with repeated clicking or other abnormal sounds. Leaving the drive in this condition for too long could possibly damage it, so I'd be careful to shut it down promptly if there any strange noises.

For my own Udoo-based file server I have a 2.5" 2TB drive on the SATA port, which needs only +5VDC - have never tried a 3.5" there, but in theory it should work fine. I do have four 3.5" drives in an external enclosure, behind USB-to-SATA bridges, with their own power supply (a mini-box M2-ATX, since I run the whole system from a variabnle 11-14VDC solar battery supply, but for AC any ATX PSU should work), common cooling fan, and a system of relays to switch the enclosure and individual drives within on and off as needed, for power-savings and noise reduction. These are controlled via I2C (udoo pins 20/21) using a Microchip MCP23008 PIO chip.

4. battosai81

battosai81 New Member

Hello, I do not have the raspberry or the raspberry's fan connected, when I listen to the source I do not hear anything on the disk, but if I feed it from an external source connected to the UBS port of the UDOO board if it recognizes it, it allows me to format it but later when I want to enter the unit I can not.

You advise me to change the power source for an ATX, I have a mini-ATX for a mini motherboard, is it okay to share that mini-ATX with the UDOO and the mini-MOTHERBORAD ?.

Thank you.

note:
    In the attached image what is with a red blade is NOT CONNECTED.

Attached Files:

5. battosai81

battosai81 New Member

So if I change the HDD from 3.5 to one of 2.5 should not I have these problems?

I think I have a 2.5, I'm going to prove how it goes.

6. fetcher

fetcher Member

Do you have a spare SATA cable on hand to try? I remember wasting a lot of time some years back trying to find why a rackmount server wasn't recognizing a newly-added drive, and the problem turned out to be just a bad cable (which looked OK physically).

I was intending to test your 3.5" drive hookup on one of my spare Udoo's, but seem to have mislaid all my SATA power cables.

The only possible issue I can think of specific to the 3.5" drive, as opposed to a 2.5" is that it may take longer to spin up, due to the increased platter mass. If it isn't ready by the time the Udoo probes its SATA bus, the drive might fail to be detected. This is only speculation, but I've encountered that issue at one point on a different type of machine, possibly an old Mac.

To check for this possibility, hook up a serial console (via Udoo micro-USB port closest to its board edge), press space or enter when prompted ("Hit any key to stop autoboot"), then let it sit ther for maybe 20 seconds before typing "boot <enter>" to continue with loading the kernel and initrd. That would give the drive any extra time it needs to start up.

If that does the trick, you'd need to find a way to delay bootup for SATA initialization for a while... there may be an U-boot option or kernel command-line option for this, but I don't know of one offhand.

7. battosai81

battosai81 New Member

Thanks to all for the advice, the problem I had was that I was using a 12v @ 5A source for the UDOO board, 12V fan and 3.5¨ hard drive, the problem was the power source.

I changed the power source for a mini ATX, feeding the fan, the UDOO board, the hard drive and with that I lifted the disk and the UDOO board recognized the HDD, then I had to format it and partition it into Ext4 but that's another story.

Thank you all.

waltervl likes this.
  8. lillianlambert

lillianlambert New Member

This happened to me too. I was trying to upgrade the storage with a hard drive that won't show up in the bios. I've even tried another hard drive and made sure the second one functioned by trying it at the store where I bought it. I checked if all the SATA ports are activated in the Bios. Everything was fine. Tried resetting the Bios, it didn't work. I've switched SATA cables, and the problem still continued! I reached out to a company that specialized in data recovery, and they helped me. I don't know what they did, but at least I got SATA hard drive recognized.

9. lillianlambert

lillianlambert New Member

This happened to me too. I was trying to upgrade the storage with a hard drive that won't show up in the bios. I've even tried another hard drive and made sure the second one functioned by trying it at the store where I bought it. I checked if all the SATA ports are activated in the Bios. Everything was fine. Tried resetting the Bios, it didn't work. I've switched SATA cables, and the problem still continued! I reached out to a company that specialized in data recovery, and they helped me. I don't know what they did, but at least I got SATA hard drive recognized.

10. sprinterca

sprinterca UDOOer

This happened to me too. I was trying to upgrade the storage with a hard drive that won't show up in the bios.

11. DefiantChomper

DefiantChomper UDOOer

Thanks for sharing such a helpful instruction, really appreciate for your article.