UDOO 7" & 15.6" Touchscreens and 5MP Camera - Unboxing

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Lifeboat_Jim, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

They haven't gone on sale yet but those who are interested may appreciate a quick heads up on:
    • * 5MP Autofocus camera
    • * 7" 800 x 480 Touch Panel
    • * 15.6" 1366 x 768 Touch Panel
    (I don't have the 15.6" non-touch panel, so can't comment on that).

Now these are pre-retail items IE not packaged in their final form and also possible they may be tweaked before they launch but as these are only a week old they are pretty near final.

Here you see (on the left) the 7" & Camera, the big bubble wrap holds the 15.6"

Here is the 5MP Autofocus Camera. VERY small and light. The Flex cable clamps into the camera and board by a natty little connector... quite strange and somewhat fiddly if you haven't used it before.

I've had a quick play with it (using gstreamer). Picks up quite a lot of detail as you'd expect but I was a little disappointed with it's low light performance, but that may be me.

Here is the 7" Touch Panel, very meaty and well made LVDS cable (this panel has I2C touch, so display and touch signals all in the one LVDS cable... very neat!)

Stats
    Dimensions: Width 165 mm, Height 106.4 mm, Thickness 8.2 mm, Weight 193g
    Viewing angles: 85/85/85/85.
    Brightness: 400 cd/m2 (sunglasses needed!)
    Power: Typically around 3W (inc. backlight, all powered by the UDOO board of course)

And lastly the big daddy, the 15.6" Touch Panel. It uses USB for the Touch connection back to the Board. The only negative is the LVDS cable is a bit on the fragile side for my liking... exercise care when plugging/unplugging this one.

Stats (not including the 3M Microtouch)
    Dimensions: Width 364 mm, Height 216 mm, Thickness 17 mm, Weight 1,350g
    Viewing angles: 85/85/85/85.
    Brightness: 300 cd/m2
    Power: Panel = Typically around 12.5-14.5W (inc. backlight. Again, all powered by the UDOO board of course)

Touch panels in use: Work well. At the moment you will need to manually tweak the uboot environmental variables. Touch position out of the box is a little out.

Happy to answer any reasonable questions here for those thinking of purchasing them.

Attached Files:

2. Matt

Matt New Member

Is the touch panel attached directly to the LCD and if it is would it be possible to remove it and mount it on lexan?

I was hoping to do something like this to protect the lcd from breaking. (Would be in a very rough environment)

3. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

Not easily.

Both the 7" & 15.6" are extremely well built and the Glass clearly added at manufacturing assembly stage. Of course anything is possible but it would be a very hard thing to do I think.

The 7" looks like it is chemically bonded, the 15.6" might be mechanically affixed but I can't be sure.

I don't know if the Touch Panels are 'Gorilla Glass' or anything but are designed to be pretty tough by their nature.

4. EBrown

EBrown New Member

What touch-screen style do they use? Capacitive or resistive?

Thanks,
    EBrown

5. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

7" is a two point capacitive

15.6" is a ten point (*I believe) capacitive

* It ought to be ten, but I cannot find a definitive source despite going through the panel, controller and touch datasheets and have now skimmed so many it's starting to blur!

6. EBrown

EBrown New Member

In that case you may be able to mount a piece of Lexan or other protective material over it. The electro-magnetic current from your body should be able to pass through it. (Capacitive Touch Screens work by measuring the change in capacitance of the touch screen and locating where that change occurred.)

Thanks,
    EBrown

7. TheJRT

TheJRT New Member

Thanks for the unboxing, looking forward to the 7 inch screen when its available for purchase. hopefully soon.

8. Matt

Matt New Member

Perfect! It would be used in a shop that uses pressure washers and cranes that could easily hit the screen.

9. EBrown

EBrown New Member

Yeah, a thin piece of Lexan should do the trick.

Capacitive touchscreens are already more durable than resistive touchscreens so that is really not a problem. The resistive ones have a very tiny distance between two sets of wires, and the connection between them can be permanently forces if something hits it hard and dents the display. (This is why Cellular devices now use the capacitive touchscreens.)

They also suffer less from inappropriate touches. Though if you are wearing gloves or try to use a pen to touch them you will fail, as they require electro-magnetic current in order to actually "feel" a touch.

Thanks,
    EBrown

10. hillcz

hillcz Member

Please when will be available 7" in EU eshop?
    THX

11. pdhanrajani

pdhanrajani New Member

Hi,
    My name is Pawan. I have a quad udoo. I just received the 15.6" touch screen LCD. The touch screen works properly in ubuntu after following the directions in the tutorial. The touch screen feature in android is not working. The android does boot up on the LCD. I have full access to it via my usb mouse and keyboard. Please provide instructions for enabling touch screen and its caliberation for android systems.
    Thanks in advance.

12. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

pdhanrajani, it's a known issue. The touch screen feature on 15,6" LVDS doesn't work using Android. We'll fix this problem in the next Android images (1.4)

13. delba

14. pdhanrajani

pdhanrajani New Member

Hi Delba,
    Thanks for the prompt reply. You guys are great !

In case of 15" touch LCDs with Ubuntu. I need to re-calibrate the touch screen after every power cycle.
    As per tutorial instructions I do write the new configuration to the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-calibration.conf file before power cycle...
    Please inform what am I missing ?

I think there is a typo in the advanced tutorials "example" to boot UDOO from both HDMI and LVDS attached to 15" LCD.
    The example seems to be meant for 7" LCD and HDMI.
    Details:
    "LDB-WVGA,if=RGB666" should be 1920x1080M@60,if=RGB24 for 15" LCDs as per previous examples .

Please confirm.

Thanks again to the Udoo team !!!

Cheers,
    Pawan

15. delba

Hi Pawan,

you're absolutely right, the example was meant to be for the 7" LVDS and HDMI (just fixed the typo though). If you need this to work on a 15" you have to change "LDB-WVGA,if=RGB666" with "LDB-WXGA,if=RGB24" (i didn't try but it should work)

16. friedlieb

friedlieb New Member