Do we need to pay royalties?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bfs, Dec 18, 2013.

1. bfs

bfs New Member

Hi, people :)

Like you all, i would like to build a project using UDOO with some arduino sensors and in my case i would like do to a PRODUCT to sell in a market in box like a tv or a console.... but one friend mine which is a senior programmer spoke that i would probably have to pay royalties if i wanna to make that project a PRODUCT.

Now... what do you guys think about it? do i have to pay? how much? tell me what do you think...

2. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

For commercial/partnership enquiries please fill in the contact us form and select 'partnership' from the drop down.

3. bfs

bfs New Member

Hi lifeboat.

I think miss understood me,i wanna build a product using UDOO... the question is: If i build a robot that moves with a keyboard through internet for instance. If i sell that robot like a product on the market,do i have to pay royalties? like fees for patents? to google , to UDOO,etc?

4. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

I don't think I've misunderstood at all.

SECO/Team UDOO will already know the licensing & IP position of what they have done and how that would impact on you (if at all). They will also be able to give you a quote for volume (if you intend to do this commercially no doubt you'll want to know that too). There is little point in the community speculating what, if any, fees there may be... just ask directly.

Therefore -> For commercial/partnership enquiries please fill in the contact us form and select 'partnership' from the drop down.

5. andcmp

andcmp New Member

Hi bfs,

we think of to UDOO as an enabling technology for learning and prototyping and not as a component for a final commercial product, but this is just our vision. I don't think you have to pay royalties but as suggested by Jim, drop a line to contact us form to get more, specific info about.

Cheers!

6. Flamenawer

Flamenawer Member

For my, is perfect for final product, except by the connectors, ethernet etc (distribution will be changed for each product) and arduino side connector type for other like jst or custom, or one custom shield (best that a custom udoo not?. Is perfect por robotics with few changes. But I am not a xpert on robotics, but I will be any day XD, when I learn linux,electronics,programaing......XD, any day near to 87 years. XD. I am making a robot structure, I am good ideas on this,but low knowledge on programming,and when I finish hardware, and will search, inversors and programmers for diferent applications. I will use udoo with very few changes. I hope do, and working in th future with udoo staff for buy customs udoo for each application,designed by me o by them.
    I was talking for a custom qualcomm snapdragon and OMAP5, and udoo is best, and more cheap, for prototiping and final product. Maybe a custom udoo service, will be a good bussines product line. SSE do this with your omap4&5 boards.

Excuse me for my English, I am writing from udoo Iceweasel and I have not google traslator, searching how to install XD. OMG Linux is a crazy SO.

7. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

The main reason platforms like the UDOO are considered prototyping platforms is because the usual contain dozens/hundreds of things or options you will never need in a final product, and it also includes the additional cost for those extra things/options.

Selling a final truly commercial product, like a robot, as a commercial product would artificially inflate the BOM costs needed.
    In general what these prototyping platforms like this and Arduino and other types of embedded systems are for, is for you to use some of the features, figure out the x number of things you actually need, test it, build the software, etc. Then you would design your won PCB/chipset with only the things you need for your product. It is highly likely you will find you may not need a dual or quad core CPU, a single core may be enough, maybe even an older model to save money. you may only need 20 I/O and you can have them laid out exactly how you need on your own final board.

Going this route you may find that your final design including all of its parts may only be a fraction the cost of the UDOO, and that will allow you to either lower the price of your final product or have a higher GP. You will find this is a VERY common way things are done, thousands of people use just an Arduino UNO to do this then design and print their own boards (even at low volumes)

If what you are making is a very low volume hobbyist product or something then it may make sense to just use the UDOO as-is, but honestly i see very few scenarios where it you would not be better off prototyping from the UDOO and then designing your own board from that work.