Using as a Plex Media Server

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by MikeCorsten, Aug 30, 2016.

1. MikeCorsten

MikeCorsten New Member

I was a backer but had to pull out of the campaign.

I've since been considering getting one of these to run as a Plex Media Server because at the minute I am using a laptop, but this is not always on. Which kind of defeats the object of a Plex Media Server.

I think I originally backed the Advanced Plus with the extras. Gutted now, because the discount for Kickstarter's was really good compared to the pre-order prices now. However, in June I could not justify the money going out of my account when they were due to take funds. Really gutted as in July I had the money.

Has anyone considered using a Udoo X86 as a Plex Media Server and or what would you recommend going for?

Thanks for reading

2. Laura

Laura UDOOer

Hi Mike, glad to see you join the UDOO forum :) Can remember you from the Kickstarter comments.

The UDOO X86 will make a great media server, as the processors on all three models can hardware decode a good range of video formats, including the 'High Efficiency Video Coding' which is used for ultra high definition video. And having a M.2 slot means you can add a large amount of storage with minimal change to the boards overall footprint.

The IR receiver and the Bluetooth Low Energy feature on the embedded Arduino means you also have various remote control options available.

3. MikeCorsten

MikeCorsten New Member

Yes, that's me ha ha, thanks for the reply as always you're super helpful. My media is stored on a NAS and the X86 seems ideal to have always on and sitting under my main TV

Laura likes this.
  4. Triodefreak

Triodefreak Active Member

5. MikeCorsten

MikeCorsten New Member

It's quite frustrating when the laptop is powered off and not accessing my media on Plex, Kodi is good too, however I appreciate the extras Plex gives for media etc

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

6. reubadoob

reubadoob New Member

@MikeCorsten I too am very interested in using the UDOO X86 as a NAS/Media Server as well. I think it will work great however I'm a little concerned about having to use the M.2 slot to add additional storage space. I guess my biggest question is:

Will utilizing the M.2 Slot (+adapter?) allow me to reach several TB of storage for the media?

7. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

The SATA port is a standard SATA port, so you can attach whatever hard disk you need to the SATA, also HDD. This way you can easily go up to TB of storage. And you can even leverage the M2 SATA for even more storage.

8. reubadoob

reubadoob New Member

@Andrea Rovai Does the UDOO X86 not support HDD's beyond 1x TB?

9. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Yes, it does indeed support beyond 1xTB, I've said up to TB with the intent of meaning terabytes, plural :)

10. sirrab

sirrab UDOOer

Not when you have 16TB over 4 HDD's.

reubadoob likes this.
  11. reubadoob

reubadoob New Member

My point exactly! 2 drives is hardly enough space for a legitimate NAS/Media Server

12. sirrab

sirrab UDOOer

Perhaps better off with mini/micro ATX/ITX board.

13. sirrab

sirrab UDOOer

Or a credit card sized computer that can deal with SATA port multipliers.

14. reubadoob

reubadoob New Member

Banana Pi Pro

15. SteveD

SteveD Member

Guess I'm reviving an old thread, but there are work arounds to use an m.2 to pcie adapter, you could then use that to get more sata slots if you really need them, or there's a special adapter for m.2 to 4 sata ports... here
    but in all honesty I'll be happy with usb 3.0 external drives, if I really wanted to grab a few sata 3TB external drives, I would prefer a low powered microatx to keep sata 3 performance

16. sirrab

sirrab UDOOer

You know for sure the Banana Pi Pro can use SATA port multipliers?

17. Göran Andersson

Göran Andersson New Member

I use UDOO X86 successfully as Plex Media Server with all media files stored on a 6 TB ReadyNAS, having 4 disks in a x-raid 10 configuration. It seems to be the best alternative for me as I have raid disks as a base requirement. Though I originally hoped UDOO X86 could handle 4 sata disks in raid.......

18. itimpi

itimpi UDOOer

The UDOO could do this if you add a M2->4xSATA adapter that has been mentioned elsewhere in the forum.

19. Gronis

Gronis UDOOer

I'm using UDOO x86 as a NAS with 1 drive currently and Plex Media Server. I'm going to expand to 3 drives on raid5 when I get all the hardware i need for it. UDOO x86 is fine as a Plex Media Server, depending on how many that will use it. It can transcode to 720p for most videos; This is a software encoder though. It will probably work much better when PMS has hardware accelerated encoding implemented (which is on alpha/beta for now), since the UDOO CPUs have support for x264 hardware encoding.

If you expect transcoding to work well, this is not currently the case. Otherwise, it's a very promesing PMS :)

20. Alan Basurto

Alan Basurto New Member

[QUOTE = "Gronis, post: 27972, miembro: 41075"] Estoy usando UDOO x86 como NAS con 1 unidad actualmente y Plex Media Server. Voy a expandirme a 3 unidades en raid5 cuando tenga todo el hardware que necesito para ello. UDOO x86 está bien como un Servidor de Medios Plex, dependiendo de cuántos lo usarán. Puede transcodificar a 720p para la mayoría de los videos; Este es un codificador de software sin embargo. Probablemente funcionará mucho mejor cuando PMS tenga implementada la codificación acelerada por hardware (que por el momento está en alfa / beta), ya que las CPU UDOO tienen soporte para la codificación de hardware x264.

Si espera que la transcodificación funcione bien, este no es el caso actualmente. De lo contrario, es un PMS muy prometedor :)[/ QUOTE]

Hola buen dia!!!

soy nuevo en el foro y la verdad no se nada de ubuntu, anteriormente tenia una Raspberry como servidor nas con un disco duro externo y como servidor nas y todo muy bien, y compre una udoo básica para probarla porque tiene puerto usb 3.0 y no tengo ni idea de como tener los mismos resultados que con la pi.

tu me podrias orientar?