UDOO Case for sale (soon!)

Discussion in 'Cases' started by fmc159, Dec 17, 2013.

1. fmc159

fmc159 Member

Hi all,

I know there are a couple of 3D printed options out there for UDOO cases. However, I have a laser cutter, so thought I'd put something together using that instead!

Here's an imgur album of my second prototype.

http://imgur.com/a/AzRcN

The case itself clips together without screws or glue or anything and is good and sturdy. I use 4 metal PCB standoffs and screws from each end to secure the actual UDOO, which sits firmly with this setup.

The lid is easily removable to get access to the GPIO pins - I looked at cutting holes to directly place arduino shields on top of the lid, but I think giving the option to just remove the lid when needing the pins is better,

I have cut holes for each different port, including for the SATA and camera ports on the top.

There are still a few things to sort out involving sizes of port holes, correcting text position above each port and adjusting some of the clips to function a little better, but these should only take an hour or so!

I will be cutting my (hopefully) final design early in January and would be happy to sell some if anyone is interested.

Let me know what you think, and feel free to give your suggestions!

2. ndzinn

ndzinn New Member

Cool. I'm interested. How much? Where are you? -Noel

3. fmc159

fmc159 Member

I'll get back to you on price - just need to work out how much it is costing me then add something small on to make it worth it! I will include metal standoffs and screws with each one.

I'm in UK, but international postage not a problem, Because the case consists of just 2D laser cut slices, I can ship it in a flat envelope, which should keep costs down.

4. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

its a nice clean design. there is another thread or two here that have some pretty nice designs and complicated ones taking a lot into account with fans and 2.5" HDD/SSD mounting which i really like.

That said, i do like the clean simple design here, similar to the RasPi cases from Element 14, Sparkfun, and Adafruit.. if the prices are low i may be interested in one or two. Gives me more conditions to test in, but ultimately i do want to get into a more functional case with cooling and SSD mount which is why i wont want to invest too much ;-)

-- Wish i had Laser cutter *Jelous*, hopefully will get a 3d printer next year..

5. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

Laser Cutter (ideally mounted on a Shark) is in my letter to Santa.

6. juanakin

juanakin New Member

Hi,

It can bee placed holes compatible with LEGO parts (or generally simple screws) to attacth the case to a LEGO ROBOT.

Regards

7. fmc159

fmc159 Member

Hi Juanakin,

Yes adding holes for attachment to a lego robot is no problem, you just need to tell me what size in millimetres for the holes and where you want them!

To give everyone a ROUGH idea of cost, I would think it will end up being about £10 + p&p, but that's just a ballpark figure for now!

8. TheJRT

TheJRT New Member

For around that price I'd also be interested in a case. Keep us informed :D

9. mkopack

mkopack Member

Nice!

10. Kris

Kris Member

You'll definitely want to add a fan mount or some other extra ventilation. Even the WiFi adapter throws off a lot of heat. Looks pretty sharp 'tho.

11. fmc159

fmc159 Member

Thanks for the heads up Kris, I'll look at adding some vents first, although fan mount definitely a possibility too.

12. francescomm

francescomm Member

13. fatpixellin

fatpixellin New Member

Can i have one? I pay now!!!!!

14. andcmp

andcmp New Member

Very clean and simple design, good work!
    Let us know when this will be available. ;)

15. vivagonna

vivagonna New Member

nice!really need one

16. fmc159

fmc159 Member

Thanks for all the support everyone! I'll keep you all up to date with progress, once there has been some. Have a wonderful Christmas!

17. reiki

reiki New Member

I´m interested in this case too. It looks cool and stylish. :cool:

Is it possible to built in a sata-disk and a fan for cooling :?: Or isn´t it enough space for both ? I want to use my quad as a NAS. Or is it more useful to use an extra sata-Case for the Hdd ?

Happy Christmas !

18. francescomm

francescomm Member

Tablet form factor or display stand

Have you considered the possibility of making also some mount for the touch displays? You could make, as an option, the front panel larger like the 7 or 15 inch touch displays. This could allow for building a tablet like device with the UDOO at the core, a battery, a touch screen and maybe the camera. A transparent home made tablet with lots of GPIOs! Add sensors and motors as you wish...

19. fmc159

fmc159 Member

Hi reiki and Francescomm,

Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

reiki: I could definitely modify the design to allow for a SATA hdd - I would probably just stack the board above the hdd using another sheet of acrylic. I could also do the fan mount just by adding some screw holes to one of the sides.

francescomm: Certainly possible, but would certainly need to to give it some more thought.

For now I am focusing on this simple design which I think would be useful to most people. If I get enough interest in other designs, I'll look at doing those as well!

20. juanakin

juanakin New Member