UDOO x86 input voltage range

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Bullaus, Sep 24, 2016.

1. PeterRobinson

PeterRobinson New Member

Thank you @Laura you've been perfectly clear. Now I'm reading a bit of info on the differences between the two types of batteries. What sort of protection are you saying a Lithium-Polymer would require? Just curious

2. Laura

Laura UDOOer

Appreciate the feedback! Glad I've been clear :)

A YouTuber called GreatScott! has made an interesting video on some of the Lithium-Polymer battery dangers and what a protection circuit can prevent -

Currently, I do not use that type of battery myself, but will eventually, as it's more compact.

PeterRobinson likes this.
  3. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

PeterRobinson and Laura like this.
  4. milaremi

milaremi New Member

https://goo.gl/photos/bFB1w5dgXjudURSq7

Hello all,

I've got the portable power situation figured out for my forthcoming Udoo x86, ultra. Here's what I'm doing:

Battery - can be smaller, obviously, but I like LiFeP04s and have purchased a 12V, 10Ah, Dakota lithium battery for 100 bux via Amazon. Yeah, that was pricey, but man, I like lightweight power!

Power regulation - DC to DC step down buck controller from Drok (Amazon or Droking.com). They have a super cool unit that includes a USB output along with standard wired connections. What's cool about this little gem is that it can not only regulate a steady 12V 3A out (highly adjustable), but it can double as a battery charger. The photo above shows it recharging my new Dakota 12V directly from my 20V solar panel. The included voltage/amp meter on-board is so handy.

I can also envision running my new Udoox86 board directly from my 20V solar panel if I so choose, thanks to this handy little board!

It cost about $15.00 on Amazon prime and came with plexiglass frame, stand-offs, heat sink and 2 red button extenders.

This is NOT a step up DC converter, so use only with a 12V or larger battery (bank).

Looking forward to putting this to work powering my remote computing/IOT endeavors soon!

Now to wait patiently for my board...

I hope this helps some of you out!

waltervl and Laura like this.
  5. PeterRobinson

PeterRobinson New Member

That is a very nice start.

6. PeterRobinson

PeterRobinson New Member

So I have designed up a case around the x86 CAD files and found a usb powered touch screen that I believe will fit. Now I am coming back to this power supply project and hopefully make something that can fit in this case I have designed!

@Laura @waltervl I have updated post # 30. What do you think?

Is it possible to make a power supply that connects through the arduino controller and powers the board?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  7. LDighera

LDighera UDOOer

Thanks for this link. Although not currently commercially available, that Muxtronics powerbank looks like a reasonable UPS for the Udoo X86. Here's the latest information.

I also found "BiXPower 159 Watt-hour (Wh) Super High Capacity 12V & 19V External Rechargeable Battery Pack - BiXPower BP160" with these specs:

Technical Specifications
    Model: BP160-VE
    Capacity: 159 Watt-Hour
    Battery Cell: Panasonic
    Colors: Silver
    Chemistry: Li-ion
    Input Charging Voltage: DC 12 - 19V
    Output Voltage: 12V/19V + 5V USB Port
    Operation Current: 12V/19V Port: Max. 5A; USB Port: Max. 2.1A
    Charging time: 4-6 hours
    Size: 270.00 x 145.00 x 32.55mm
    Weight: 1340g
    Power Indicator: 4 level LED indicator
    Built-in Protection Circuit: - Over-charge
    - Over-discharge
    - Over current
    - Over temperature
    - Short circuit protection
    Included in Standard Package: - Battery x 1
    - AC Charging Adapter x 1
    - Adapter Power Cord x 1
    - DC Car Charging Adapter x 1
    - Power Cable x 1
    - Plug Tips x 18 *​

The 12 volt output is regulated, and if left on charge while powering the X86, I'm thinking (with the addition of an alarm circuit) it would be a suitable Uninterruptible Power Supply for the Udoo X86. But it ain't cheap or light.

8. Anders Käll

Anders Käll New Member

So the spec says "The voltage must be 12V +/- 5%", fine. Anybody knows what happens if the voltage drops below the -5% ?
    Will the board will reset?
    I can understand that Udoo not wanting to release anything that would cause unstable behavior, but has anybody tested to go below the 12V limit and checked what happened? We want to put the board on a drone, the less stuff on board, the better....

9. Alfred

Alfred New Member

10. Alfred

Alfred New Member

This one has onboard battery level indicator..overcharge protection circuit..everything u need

11. Alfred

Alfred New Member

And you wont have to worry about regulated power supply

12. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

13. Alfred

Alfred New Member

But i think then nothing is reliable..battery packs wont maintain voltage to such accuracy..and i dont think just 10% variation on input voltage could damage your board..it doesnt affect mobiles after all

14. Alfred

Alfred New Member

I still have doubt whether there is a safety circuit on board in udoo x86 ultra for over voltage protection..i haven't seen any reliable source saying that..anyone who has experience using the board could help me out

Ion Dulgheru likes this.