Something's off with the Quad image for Ubuntu

Discussion in 'UDOO 101' started by xbrav, Oct 24, 2013.

1. xbrav

xbrav UDOOer

Tried to extract...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So far seems to be consistent with the torrents and the Sourceforge link.

*EDIT*

Well, looks like the issue is with Windows. 7-zip happily reports the approximate 6.5GB file. Windows: Everything's bigger.

2. jimmnh

jimmnh New Member

Yes, I recommend extract with 7Zip. Windows extract is a mess.

3. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

its been happening to a LOT of people,
    The UDOO team i think needs to have a look at how they ZIP'ed the file or at least use a more noticeable notice on the download screen.
    I think they clarify to use 7zip in the formal documentation but nonetheless

7zip should take care of it for ya

4. Black_Magic

Black_Magic New Member

Same problem with Quad Ubuntu image from bittorrent and Sourceforge - glad I found this thread.

Windows 7 tells me that I do not have enough drive space to unzip it... not surprising as I couldn't afford to buy the 807,167,508,041,846 kB it tells me is the file size (~800 Petabyte :shock: ) The compressed size is 733,757 kB

Of to get 7zip on this ... lovely ... OS

I was able to extract both Android and Ubuntu images and boot on the Udoo.
    Today is the first time I've had it powered up :D

5. n4nln

n4nln New Member

i've tried every archive cracker i could find that will run on MacOS X 10.8 and *all* of them stated categorically that the udoo quad archives are malformed. Hence, i have been unable to flash a chipcard for my udooQ which has been sitting here for a couple of weeks now. This is not an auspicious beginning.

6. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

did you check the MD5 hash to make sure you haev a good download?
    there were numerous people that ran into the unzipping the image files but its only been when windows users used the built in unzip. never seen it on mac or linux. If you are on Mac and unable to extract the SD card image, you likely have a corrupt zip file.

Each official image includes an MD5 checksum so you can validate if the file is valid. check that first.
    If the file is not right, download a new version and check it again.
    Once you have a validated zip file it should work for you.
    the hash for each file can be found on the downloads page: http://www.udoo.org/downloads/

7. iamstuffed

iamstuffed New Member

I had the same issue with trying to extract the image on OSX. I ended up installing p7zip on OSX using Homebrew:
    Code:
    brew install p7zip
    Then I extracted it using 7z:
    Code:
    7z x <filename>
    I don't think the zip files are valid zip files (maybe not even zip files at all). Just because 7zip/p7zip can extract it doesn't mean they are zip files. At the command line, I would get an error, 76 extra bytes at beginning or within zipfile. Why not use a standard zip tool?

8. danomatika

danomatika New Member

I can confirm the same issue on OSX. I downloaded the Linaro 12.04 quad zip and unpacked it with The Unarchiver (an Archive Utility alternative) and wrote to the SD card. The image never booted for me and I tried it overwriting it several times, watching on the serial console that it would die with a Kernel panic when trying to mount the fs:

Code:
    [    3.070075] VFS: Mounted root (ext3 filesystem) on device 179:1.
    [    3.072274] devtmpfs: mounted
    [    3.072331] Freeing init memory: 196K
    [    3.073156] EXT3-fs error (device mmcblk0p1): ext3_lookup: deleted inode referenced: 326401
    [    3.084977] EXT3-fs error (device mmcblk0p1): ext3_lookup: deleted inode referenced: 261121
    [    3.086255] Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found.  Try passing init= option to kernel. See Linux Documentation/init.txt for guidance.

I then completely overwrote the SD card using SDFormatter, used p7zip to unzip the debian wheezy image, and wrote it to the SD card. The Udoo booted in 10 seconds. I'm sure the Linaro image would probably work as well, but I don't want to do this again for the 6th time now that I have a working system.

It seems that using p7zip was the key. I really think you should zip the images so they can be unzipped using Archive Utility etc on OSX as this would save alot of pain (not to mention rants that "my UDOO doesn't boot").

Something interesting to note is that running diskutil list shows me that writing the image worked.

This is what I got with the Debian image (unzipped with p7zip):

Code:
    /dev/disk4
       #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
       0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *15.9 GB    disk4
       1:                      Linux                         7.1 GB     disk4s1

I think it might be a good idea to include this in the SD Card howto as a double check after running dd.

9. danomatika

danomatika New Member

Update:

I just tried the Linaro 12.04 image unzipped with p7zip and it works fine. The issue is clearly the zip method being used.