CEC-HDMI: some compiling issues and a question about i2c-i801

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by fedus, Feb 23, 2019.

1. fedus

fedus New Member

Hello guys,

I hope you can help me out with two questions!

The first one pertains to the instructions on the Udoo x86 docs to get CEC-HDMI running: it seems like the latest Git master is only running on Kernels > 4.19, which are not available on the "normal" update channel of the latest LTS Ubuntu (18.04). Is this correct? If so, then the docs must be updated since they only talk about Kernel > 4.14.

Indeed, when trying to compile with Kernel 4.15 (latest one available thorugh the "normal" update channels of Ubuntu 18.04), it fails (you can check https://github.com/ektor5/secocec/issues/4 ). Reverting to an earlier commit works.

Anyhow, my second question is: the docs say that in order to use the CEC-HDMI driver, i2c-i801 has to be disabled / blacklisted. But what does that actually mean? What is the impact? How will I noticed this? I imagine that obviously that module is loaded for a reason. Is it easy to revert back in case of issues?

Thanks a lot for your help!

2. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Quote from Doc:
    So with Kernel 4.15 you should use version 0.1
    Regarding 12c-i801 see reply #2 in this thread, something with ACPI: https://www.udoo.org/forum/threads/cec.9324/#post-31919

3. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Edit: must say that the docs changed yesterday by Udoo Team, so after you asked your question. So don't blame yourself not heaving read this info....

LDighera likes this.
  4. fedus

fedus New Member

Thank you waltervl!

I have indeed read the thread you linked, but even after reading it, it's not clear to me what the concrete consequences of blacklisting the module in question are.

I guess what I really need is an ELI5 :)

Best

5. fedus

fedus New Member

Edit: as actually noted in the instructions, the module is actually already blacklisted by default on my Ubuntu install - so I guess I don't really need to worry about the effects of blacklisting it. I was just curious to know! Thanks in any case for your reply.

6. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

No problem, on this part I am on the same age of 5 :)
    Is your other issue with Kernel also solved now with the documentation change of this weekend?

7. fedus

fedus New Member

I got it installed correctly, and I managed for instance to turn the tv on or off, however I can't seem to read remote control input - maybe it's just a configuration issue? I don't know where to start troubleshooting though ... ?

8. fedus

fedus New Member

OK - for what it's worth, everything is working now.

The reason I could not read the remote control presses is that in my case, I had to register the Udoo with physical address 3.0.0.0 instead of 2.0.0.0 as given in the tutorial. I saw in one of the logs that the tv was speaking to the Udoo at that address, even though it advertised itself with 2.0.0.0, so I tried to set the Udoo to 3.0.0.0 and then it worked.

LDighera and waltervl like this.