CPU Fan strange behaviour

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by tojo2503, Aug 3, 2017.

1. tojo2503

tojo2503 New Member

Udoo reopened my ticket and replied:

"
    I'm really sorry for the inconvenience,
    We will release an update soon, so I'll ask again the BIOS R&D dept. to really look at the problem and solve it.

Sorry again,"

We'll see if anything happens... would be great but my hopes are low.

waltervl likes this.
  2. Udootopia

Udootopia New Member

Was the Problem solved ? The fan is really noisy. If i had known this, i wouldnt have bought an Udoo X86 .... :(

3. tojo2503

tojo2503 New Member

Nope, I don't think that we'll ever get rid of the noise that the official fan does because that is hardware related (bad quality of the fan)... this thread is more about the issue, that the fan accelerates to 100% while it should be running with 50%.

4. Udootopia

Udootopia New Member

yes i know my fan also spins up all 3 seconds to max. I think to run my ultra without a fan. Question is if emulation gaming will be ok without fan cooling

5. tojo2503

tojo2503 New Member

Update: WOW! Firmware 1.0.6 really fixes the bug. My fan does not spin up anymore.

It’s been quite a while, but finally they’ve manage it. :)

6. G3WGV

G3WGV UDOOer

Can we be clear what has been fixed here?
    • Some were finding that the fan would surge briefly from normal speed to full speed every few seconds in normal operation.
    • Others were complaining about the full speed operation during boot-up.
    • Some were blaming the fan itself (which makes no sense at all).
    What has actually been fixed in V1.0.6?

7. tojo2503

tojo2503 New Member

Hi,

I mean the bug that the official fan used to spin up every 3-5 seconds when set to 50% and controlled via temperature. This has been fixed.

It still spins up to full speed after boot (which is fine I think because usually you don’t reboot that often).

The fan itself is of course as loud as always (in my opinion too loud), but that’s nothing a Firmware can fix. :)

G3WGV likes this.
  8. G3WGV

G3WGV UDOOer

Hi Tojo,

Great, thanks. It's been a long time coming but they got there in the end. I'll have to remind myself how to update the BIOS now - it's been a while! In fairness I have two Udoo X86 Ultras running 24x7 and they have worked flawlessly for the past 18 months or so, so in general I have been very pleased with them.

Thanks for keeping on top of this issue for us.

John.

9. G3WGV

G3WGV UDOOer

I've now updated one of my Udoo Ultras and can confirm that the fan problem is fixed. A few notes to possibly assist others along the way:
    1. The updated BIOS is not (yet) on the resources/download page. It is available at https://www.udoo.org/docs-x86/Advanced_Topics/UEFI_update.html
    2. The custom BIOS settings feature (see programming manual, section 3.3) that is supposed to let you copy across your current BIOS settings to the new BIOS image doesn't seem to work. It goes through the motions but when you come to install the new BIOS file, it's the old version, not the new one!
    3. As the manual says, you must do all this in a DOS prompt with admin privileges. It's been a while since I did that sort of thing!
    Enjoy!