Raspberry Pi compatibility ? - Mathematica & Wolfram Alpha

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kris, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Kris

Kris Member

2. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

Re: Raspberry Pi compatibility ? - Mathematica & Wolfram Alp

From what I recall Wolfram did the porting of their own products, with the view (like many before them such as Microsoft etc) that if they can get the kids to grow up with it at school then they get pay back further down the line when it comes time to sell licences.

Of course rPi was always designed for the educational market and has sold > 2 million units now (pretty good for 18 months on the market). Whilst I know UDOO has a presence at many Universities around the world there is quite some distance to go. In short, I can't see Wolfram doing the amount of effort needed to port to a new architecture (IE UDOO) right now.

Still, Mathematica is a niche product within a niche market and I'm not going to miss it, Degree level maths is to be endured not encouraged! ;-) If Maths or Stats is your thing, then Sageor R is available, free and hugely powerful.

3. ndzinn

ndzinn New Member

Not what you're looking for, but FYI Octave (a Matlab clone) is available for Udoo via apt-get. -Noel

4. Kris

Kris Member

That I'll have to check out! I use matlab on a daily basis and licenses are not cheap. Thanks

5. ndzinn

ndzinn New Member

And SciLab, another Matlab clone is available, too. I don't have an opinion whether Octave or SciLab would be better on Udoo. -Noel

6. ndzinn

ndzinn New Member

7. ndzinn

ndzinn New Member

BTW, Julia is a new mathematical + general purpose programming language out of MIT (early 2012) that (in my testing) is as fast as C and more precise than Matlab! -Noel

8. ndzinn

ndzinn New Member

Correction. Faster than Python and Ruby but slower than C and with the same accuracy of Matlab. -Noel

9. Kris

Kris Member

Just saw that Octave got a new graphical interface today. It's optional for the moment and requires activation to launch, but still a pretty cool step forward.
    http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/

10. ndzinn

ndzinn New Member

Thanks, Kris. Not yet in the Debian apt-get package system yet ... but I was able to donate.

My experience is that Octave is the slowest of the Matlab workalikes, but its syntax is a clone of Matlab. SciLab breaks the syntax, but it's 30-40% faster than Octave. Python and Ruby are about 15 times faster than Octave and Julia about 3 time faster than Python and Ruby and C about 4 times faster than Python and Ruby. Remarkably, Matlab can be faster than C for some core functionality (lots of optimization).

Noel

11. mkopack

mkopack Member

Yeah, I thought I read that a number of the Octave functions were also rewritten from the ground up to be a lot faster than before in this new release?

I might have to start looking into it and talking it up around the office. We use MatLab for a number of things, but we only have a couple licenses that we have to trade around and they cost a small fortune. Might be a good alternative for at least experimentation before trying on actual MatLab...

12. ndzinn

ndzinn New Member