Open Media Vault - NAS Operating system

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mikelangeloz, Nov 14, 2013.

1. mikelangeloz

mikelangeloz Member

Open Media Vault

OpenMediaVault is a free network-attached storage server, supporting CIFS (Samba), FTP, NFS, rsync, AFP protocols, S.M.A.R.T., local user authentication, and software RAID (0,1,5,6,10), with a web-based configuration interface. OpenMediaVault is currently distributed as an ISO image and in source form.
    OpenMediaVault was inspired by FreeNAS and other commercial NAS but is a complete new implementation. It is released under the GNU General Public License.

Copyright Volker Thiele (thanks for this awesome work)

Features

Javascript/AJAX based WebGUI (based on ExtJS)
    Protocols: CIFS (via Samba), TFTP, FTP, NFS, SSH, rsync, AFP, UPnP, BitTorrent (protocol) and iTunes.
    Extensions (plug-ins) for: SlimServer, Xbox Media Stream Protocol.
    rsync server, client and local sync.
    File systems: XFS, JFS and ext2/ext3/ext4 are fully supported, NTFS read/write and FAT32 read/write supported.
    Hard drive: P-ATA/S-ATA, SCSI, iSCSI, USB and FireWire.
    GPT/EFI partitioning for hard drives larger than 2 Terabytes.
    Network cards: All wired and wireless cards supported by Debian.
    Boot from HDD, USB key, CompactFlash, CD-ROM + floppy disk, or USB flash.
    Hardware RAID cards: All those supported by Debian.
    Software RAID levels: 0, 1, 5, 6, JBOD, 5+0, 5+1, 0+1, 1+0, etc. (using mdadm).
    4KB sector formatting support for hard drives using Advanced Format
    S.M.A.R.T. support.
    Remote syslogd forwarding.
    SNMP monitoring.
    Email log and reporting notification.
    Link aggregation and link failover interface
    UPS (Uninterruptible power supply) support

http://www.openmediavault.org/

Made this image because I think this would be very useful to Udoo Users. With E-sata port, gigabit LAN, and all the power it has, think this will be a perfect solution to build an homemade NAS. The image is built on the same minimal ARMhf image and the kernel has the latest load average fix.

This comes with some plugins already installed:
    Transmission BitTorrent
    ClamAV AntiVirus
    Apple Filling
    MiniDLNA DLNA Server
    Autoshutdown
    OpenVPN
    DNS and DHCP Server

CREDENTIALS:

SSH
    USER: root
    PASSWORD: openmediavault

WEBUI:
    USER: admin
    PASSWORD: openmediavault

Download link:
    UDOO QUAD:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/min...ia Vault Udoo/Quad/OMV_Udoo_Quad.zip/download
    UDOO DUAL:
    yet to come

Donate to the project if you like this system. Support open source devs!

SCREENSHOTS:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

very nice.. thank you for sharing this

3. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

Yes, very useful.

Have already had one person asking about this sort of thing on IRC and was able to point them at this thread. Very useful, and is a great addition.

4. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

Yep! Thanks mikelangeloz ;)

5. dottore

dottore New Member

This is exactly what I wanted, thank you. Only one thing missing for me - can't mount NTFS usb hard drive. Every time I'm stuck with following error message

FATAL: Module fuse not found.

As I understand it, used kernel is without fuse module and I should be able to compile kernel with fuse module but sadly I can't figure out how. Would be someone who was successful with this matter please kind enough to share how to make NTFS work?

6. udoo_juergens

udoo_juergens New Member

Thank you mikelangeloz for the interesting post.

I have similar problem like dottore had with the OMV image: I can't mount NTFS SATA hard drives with this image. It seems to be a general problem, that has something to do with unsupported proprietary NTFS drivers. I had the same issue with ubuntu 12.04 image for udoo and for an "older" hardware (Time Slice). Though with Debian 7 wheezy armhf http://www.udoo.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=576 it was possible to mount NTFS hard drives at udoo.

After some research on how to install OMV to an existing Debian armhf, there seems to be no such activities in this direction (check http://www.udoo.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=590).
    There is an installation guide for RPi (http://forums.openmediavault.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=481) which seems to be not fully applicable to the udoo. I could install OVM but could not start the WebGUI and only got an "500 internal server error".

So far my results up to now, maybe this will help others with their attempts.

7. rafalsw

rafalsw New Member

Hi
    I tried to install OMV in accordance with the instructions for RPI (thanks udoo_juergens).
    The same problem and got an "500 internal server error".

In the file / var/log/apache2/openmediavault-webgui_error.log i can see this:

(104) Connection reset by peer: mod_fcgid: error reading data from FastCGI server
    [error] Premature end of script headers: index.php

I have not found a solution yet.

8. rafalsw

rafalsw New Member

Hi.
    I added one file /etc/default/locale ("touch locale) and everything is ok.

Regards

9. udoo_juergens

udoo_juergens New Member

@ rafalsw: You just added a file /etc/default/locale and now it works? I tried the same and restarted Apache but still only got error 500.

10. rafalsw

rafalsw New Member

Yes. Try dpkg-reconfigure locales maybe and watch file: /var/log/apache2/error.log (tail -f /var/log/apache2/error.log) when you try to open OMV.
    You can also check if the file /var/www/openmediavault/index.php starts up correctly:
    cd /var/www/openmediavault/
    php-cgi index.php
    In no errors, apache is the problem.
    Tomorrow i will try install everything again, from scratch, maybe I did something else I forgot :)

11. udoo_juergens

udoo_juergens New Member

Thanks rafalsw for the hints.
    I checked tail -f /var/log/apache2/error.log and got the error "suexec policy violation: see suexec log for more details" when I tried to open OMV. I couldn't find a solution for that error in the internet, so I removed apache2-suexec (apt-get remove apache2-suexec) and reinstalled again. Now I can access the OMV WebGUI.

12. rafalsw

rafalsw New Member

When I checked "/var/log/apache2/error.log" i got the error "php-fcgi: 26: .: Can't open /etc/default/locale" only.
    Regards

13. udoo_juergens

udoo_juergens New Member

Now I'm getting the next error: When I go to System -> Plugins I get the error:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Failed to execute command 'export LANG=C;sudo dpkg-query --list 'openmediavault-*'':

Error #4000:
    exception 'OMVException' with message 'Failed to execute command 'export LANG=C;sudo dpkg-query --list 'openmediavault-*'': ' in /var/www/openmediavault/rpc/plugin.inc:186
    Stack trace:
    #0 [internal function]: PluginRpc->getList(Array)
    #1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc.inc(265): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc.inc(98): OMVRpc::exec('Plugin', 'getList', Array)
    #3 /var/www/openmediavault/rpc.php(44): OMVJsonRpcServer->handle()
    #4 {main}
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I followed the instructions below from http://phpbb.openmediavault.org/vie...sid=bda449156eabf1746d2c2e7433da64fb&start=40 without success. Still get the same error message.

1) root from the command line:
    mkdir /var/lib/dpkg/updates
    chmod 755 /var/lib/dpkg/updates
    mkdir -p /var/lib/php5
    chmod 1777 /var/lib/php5
    apt-get update

2) reboot OMV

14. rafalsw

rafalsw New Member

Try to install openmediavault-omvpluginsorg package (apt-get install openmediavault-omvpluginsorg). For me it's works.

15. udoo_juergens

udoo_juergens New Member

Thanks again rafalsw. That works for me too.

Regards

16. Robandstuff

Robandstuff New Member

What is he status of this with the Dual model? I was gifted one and would like to use it for a NAS/plex server. Also, what is the size requirement for this OS, 8gb like the standard Udoo distro? Thanks!

17. lostfly

lostfly New Member

18. pandalust

pandalust New Member

Hi, all!
    Just wanted to ask what was the transfer speeds you guys are seeing when using samba?

Im getting about 1MB/s up which seems rather low, although I am using USB drives instead of the sata connection (mind you this drive goes at 28MB/s locally)

Otherwise, cheers and thanks a lot for your effort!

19. Robandstuff

Robandstuff New Member

Fails to boot/blank screens for me as well (on a Udoo Dual). I don't have a ton of experience with Linux. Anyone have any guidance on how to set this up starting from one of the stock images?

20. valmanza83

valmanza83 New Member

I have a question about the tutorial. There is no mention of where to get the sata power cable used. My question is where can i get the sata power cable in question? or more specifically where can i get the molex female connector?

As well has anyone else noticed that the sata power cable they sell in the starter kit isn't the same in the tutorial?