Bolt DOA?

Discussion in 'UDOO BOLT' started by Annoyed, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Annoyed

Annoyed New Member

2. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

Sorry a silly question...

Did you press the POWER button?
    (It's a tiny switch with a white plastic push button, close to CN6 2 rows by 5 pin header.)

Annoyed likes this.
  3. Annoyed

Annoyed New Member

There was only one switch I could see, this seems to cause the orange light near the middle edge to flash a bit.
    It's difficult to identify CN6 because the Udoo people removed the schematic from the web.

4. Laura

Laura UDOOer

There are three LEDs on the board, located in the same corner area of the board.

One for the power status and is described as follows - A bicolour Green/Yellow LED is placed near the DC IN power jack to signal the power state of the board. When the board is powered but turned off, then the LED turns on Yellow, during normal working (S0 State) the LED turns on Green light.

And the other two, located behind the Ethernet port, indicate the link speed of the Ethernet connection.

5. Annoyed

Annoyed New Member

This is potentially useful information, Laura, but difficult to work with overall because you and your staff have removed the schematics from the web. It would help greatly if you could once more publish the schematics for the board. Publishing the user manual again would also be useful, or if a member of the community could publish them in lieu of the Udoo staff, assuming this is acceptable considering whether the removal of the documentation was deliberate or accidental.

6. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

Power button location
    IMG_0080a.jpg

Annoyed likes this.
  7. Annoyed

Annoyed New Member

Hi ccs_hello, this is a helpful picutre and surpasses all available documentation for the Udoo Bolt after the manufacturers removed all documentation for the board.

Pressing the button you've indicated in your photograph turns one of the board lights green momentarily then back to orange. I cannot describe the button or light properly because the manufacturers have removed all documentation from the web after shipping the product.

At this stage, and without any capability to diagnose the product due to the lack of documentation, I should probably consider it is faulty and begin investigating options related to consumer protection.

8. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

One thing I always do is to use a regular 19V 3.42A power adapter that I mentioned in the other thread.
    My experience on USB-C PD power has been "YMMV". It can be cable, power supply itself, the connector, and the proper protocol negotiation issues.

BTW, check your DDR4 SODIMM (part number??). Use it in the slot closest to the CPU fan.

Annoyed likes this.
  9. Annoyed

Annoyed New Member

Thanks for your advice about the DIMM slot. Because the manufacturer has removed all documentation for the board from the web and from Github, it's difficult to diagnose this. I have tried both slots without any discernable difference. The RAM I purchased is in line with the RAM specifications previously published, but it is difficult to ratify this because the developers have purged all documentation for the board.

I have tried a number of power supply devices with the same or lesser effect, but it is difficult to qualify these tests because the developers have removed all documentation for the board from the web and from Github.

What is the process for refund proceedings for faulty boards?

10. Laura

Laura UDOOer

We have not published the documentation or schematics. We are working on releasing this information soon.

@Annoyed Could you please open a support ticket and a technician will investigate the issue you are having with the board https://ticket.udoo.org/

11. elDaz_2

elDaz_2 New Member

I have a similar problem. I think it is caused by incompatible RAM. If I remove the RAM the power led stays green. If I put back the the RAM, the power led pass from green to yellow after a few seconds, like some kind of a reset. I will get a different RAM module later and report back.

12. Amir

Amir New Member

13. elDaz_2

elDaz_2 New Member

So yeah .. tried 3 different RAM modules, still the same problem ..

14. Chad Ringstrom

Chad Ringstrom New Member

You may need a 65w version, if you flip your lil cube over, does it say it can do 20v as one of the stepped voltages?

15. elDaz_2

elDaz_2 New Member

I begin to think that my problem may not be RAM. It could actually be the power supply. I use a USB-C PD 3.0 90W ( 20V/4.5A). When I install any RAM module, I think it fail to negotiate the power profile and just reset. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

16. Chad Ringstrom

I don’t have the board with me to check but is there a post speaker pinout around fpanel?

If so, hook up a bios speaker and try power on with no ram and see if you get the no ram beep code.

Just an idea.

17. elDaz_2

elDaz_2 New Member

That's a very good idea ! I'll go look right now !

18. elDaz_2

elDaz_2 New Member

Nope .. No luck, no speaker :( according to user manual:
    Buttons / LED header
    Pin Signal
    1 HD_LED_P 2 FP PWR_P/SLP_N
    3 HD_LED_N 4 FP PWR_N/SLP_P
    5 RST_SW_N 6 PWR_SW_P
    7 RST_SW_P 8 PWR_SW_N
    9 ---

19. Chad Ringstrom

Weird I thought I saw “internal speaker” before the manual got wiped.

It was probably referring to the pre amplified speaker connectors.

Is your RAM 1.2 volt?

20. elDaz_2

elDaz_2 New Member

there is indeed a "Speaker internal connectors" mention on page 25 but I have no clue what they are referring to.