Can you use a B+M key M.2 SATA SSD in the M.2 NVMe Slot ?

Discussion in 'UDOO BOLT' started by chrisr, Apr 28, 2019.

Tags:
  1. chrisr

chrisr UDOOer

Is it possible to use a M.2 SATA SSD in the M.2 NVMe slot? Reason is the M.2 SATA slot is only 2260 whereas the M.2 NVMe is 2280 and all the 1TB+ SSD I can find are 2280 size. The one I am thinking of using is the Western Digital Blue 3D NAND SATA SSD 1TB M.2 which has reasonable performance for the price. This has a B+M key so it should physically fit in the slot. It is on Amazon at https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B073SB2MXT . Many thanks.

2. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

BOLT's key-M slot (the 2280 one) does not have SATA support unfortunately.

3. chrisr

chrisr UDOOer

Thanks very much for your reply css_hello. Pity as it is a good size drive for the price. Are there any 1TB M.2 2260 SSDs? Otherwise guess I will just get a more expensive NVMe SSD as I want 1TB.

4. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

Larger capacity 2260 SSDs are rare and expensive.

BTW, what do you plan to use the Key-M 2280 slot?
    The reason I asked is that there is just a tiny bit of intrusion on 2280 key-B into the 2280 key-M space.
    If your key-M device can accommodate a slight bit of trimming (such as a NGFF PCIe 4x key-M to full PCIe adapter < -- the interception area is blank/unused), then they can live happily together.

5. evaloverde

evaloverde Administrator Staff Member

Hello,
    we've just released an online manual for UDOO BOLT, available here, that can help you with your issue.
    Let us know if we can assist you any further.