Sata cable data + power

Discussion in 'UDOO 101' started by dbaron, Jan 1, 2014.

1. dbaron

dbaron New Member

Hi everybody.

Fisrt, happy new year to every body.

I would like to know when I can find cable to connect an HDD SSD on board (data + power, on connectors J12 and CN9, right?)

Thanks in advance

Dominique

2. mkopack

mkopack Member

Ok, you have a couple options here:

1) buy the starter kit with all the cables from Udoo (easiest)

2) Buy a couple cables with the right connectors and splice them together (mainly the power) - not too bad but requires a little soldering or at least some wire crimping.

3) Buy all the parts to make the power cable from scratch (hardest).

If you want to do #2 of #3, look at this thread for part information (I recommend doing option #2 if you aren't doing to do #1...):

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=123

3. dbaron

dbaron New Member

Thanks you for your answer.

I am surprise, because I ordered a Quad UDOO, with all the cables, but I received only an usb cable, SD card, and power adaptor.
    Should I receive a cable for SATA too ?

4. mkopack

mkopack Member

No the cables are part of other cable bundles. They don't include it as the Dual units don't support SATA and they figured most people would just run off SD... It's really not hard to make the needed cable using what I showed above (option 2) and that way you can get exactly what you want/need.

Just remember, this doesn't supply 12V, so you need to be sure your SATA drive doesn't need 12V (most of the 3.5" drives tend to, most 2.5 SSD drives don't though and I highly recommend getting a small-ish SSD for this so you get all the benefits of no moving parts, high speed, and lower power draw.)

5. malaga

malaga UDOOer

can i buy a SATA cable or do i need to create it on my own...