Problems with installing emulators on Udoo

Discussion in 'Application & Utilities' started by Bela, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Bela

Bela Member

Hey.
    I've installed the recent linaro image on my udoo and I'm really happy about it, since it's faster than the 11.10.
    This morning I've tried to install one of my favourite multi emulator, called Mednafen. It's cool since it uses OpenGl and it's really fast, so I downloaded the source from the website and tried to compile it, but there's a problem. When it start searching for OpenGl, it gives me an error about no OpenGl headers. I really don't know what to do, since the new release of the Udoo fixed the opengl errors. Any help?

Ps: here is the page of the emulator: http://mednafen.sourceforge.net/
    Pss: if you want i can give you a log about the error.

2. Bela

Bela Member

Re: Mednafen Emulator compile problem. No OpenGL headers

I've solved all of the problem about missing libraries / headers but now it gives me an error while compiling :| I'll try to fix it and if it works, describe how I did it

3. Bela

Bela Member

Re: Mednafen Emulator compile problem.

I've tried to compile it in a lot of ways, also with removing some features but still nothing.... I'm pretty much out, since I've tried to install with compiling a lot of other emulators and none of them worked, except for Visualboyadvance which gave me some white and black lines, infact I'm trying to find out a bit more about it. If someone got working an emulator please tell me :oops: I would really appreciate that

4. Bela

Bela Member

So nobody got any emulator running on udoo?

5. jobbin

jobbin New Member

Hi,

I've tried to get Mupen64Plus to run on UDOO (viewtopic.php?f=27&t=632) but I've had no luck either.

Hope anyone will be able to port some emulators, would be great to play some old games on UDOO!

6. Bela

Bela Member

I read that topic and tried to compile too but without much luck :T
    I think that to get working those emulators we need to actually rewrite them, because that's pretty much a new platform and I don't think there are many compatible emulators around but who knows?

7. Decion

Decion New Member

It's maybe not an helpful answer, however it's possible to use the Android version of Udoo to download emulators via App stores. I successfully tried a GBA emulator with Final Fantasy Tactics and beside of regular slowdowns for about 2-3 seconds every like 2 minutes it's working pretty well. Also I wasn't able to get an emulator running on Udoo via e.g. Ubuntu, which is actually the reason I tried out Android to see what is possible there.

8. Bela

Bela Member

Actually that was useful. Forgot that I had lying around my becker sd with android. Gonna update it and try. Thanks :D

9. Decion

Decion New Member

As Google Apps Store is currently not officially possible on Udoo (as the device is not certified, which is a big big pitty), I had to use alternative apps stores like aptoide . I'm mentioning this here as I was a total noob with Android before getting Udoo and maybe there are others who like to use emulators with Udoo but currently don't know how to do so and are also new with Android like myself.

So, with aptoide I now got the following emulators installed and running (still looking for more. If there's interest, I'll continue posting);

• C64 with "C64.emu"
      Gameboy and Gameboy Color with "GBC.emu"
      Gameboy Advanced with "My Boy!Free"
      NES with "Nostalgia.NES Lite"
      Super NES with "Snesoid"
      N64 with "Mupen64 Plus"
      MAME with "MAME4droid)"

The N64 games I tried were running ok and actually faster than I expected, however not always full speed, but still playable pretty much to my impression.

MAME games with the above mentioned emulator mostly didn't ran as it was commented some files where missing. If I'm correct that's a more common problem with MAME emulators, where not every one of them is running every ROM.

The other emulators where running pretty well. I was even able to connect a USB Joypad (Saitek Rumble Pad) to the Udoo without installing any additional software and get it configured for most of the emulators (Snesoid being the only exception for not being able to recognize all buttons), so I was indeed playing the games conveniently with a proper input device. :D

10. Bela

Bela Member

Thanks a lot. Tried all of the emulator and they run pretty well considering I have a dual ;) If we can get a decent number of emulators working we should create a post with the list of the working ones and how they run (like fps rate,problems or lag, ecc..) , but right now I just want to play games and enjoy them c:

11. jobbin

jobbin New Member

I gotta say I did not have high hopes that it was going to run well on Android, and therefore I wanted to run it on Ubuntu.

But I gave the N64 emulator, Mupen64Plus a try. I was blown away how smooth it was! I have just tried one game but it worked like a charm.
    Even my N64-Controller worked via USB-adapter without any configuration!

...and here I have wasted hours and hours trying to get it to run under Ubuntu, foolish :D

Thanks to both of you!

Now I will try to get the N64 controller to work via the GPIOs, should be interesting :)

12. Bela

Bela Member

Thank Decion for everything ;)

13. Decion

Decion New Member

Thanks for the kudos, though I didn't do that much so far. Unfortunately I didn't have time to work on the above list as I was on a business trip and I couldn't take my Udoo with me :cry: . I'm back now, so I will try some more the next days.

I posted it already in other threads, it's a pity Udoo is not (yet) certified by Google, so the Google apps store can't be used. Otherwise we would have all the emulators available. Searching for emulators on the Google store gives me way more options compared to the the unofficial apps stores.

I also tried a few free2play games on Android which caught my attention. One of them was "Revolt". It's an old classic PC game with remote controlled racing cars with 3D graphics. They ported it to Android, it's well known for older gaming fans from the PC. It indeed runs absolutely well on Udoo which again surprised me. It seems to me that trying these things with Udoo on Android is a real alternativ, not just a second option, as things are currently not available on Linux (which seems to be the first option of course, also to me).

14. Bela

Bela Member

Hey c: . I also wanted to tell you that I've got my xbox 360 wired controller working. It didn't need any oth cable actually but just an app called usb/bt joystick center

15. Decion

Decion New Member

I also searched for that app but either couldn't find it or it seemed to be too dubious to download it from where it was offered. Could you please state at what store exactly you downloaded usb bt/joystick center and is it a free, demo or light version?

16. Bela

Bela Member

uhm... Actually I have aptoide inside my android image so I can download any apk for free actually. I used the v8.10 .

17. Decion

Decion New Member

I have license problems with this app when trying to start it as it's not from the official google store. So I deleted it again. I will try to find another app helping me with the gamepad.

18. Decion

Decion New Member

I couldn't find a proper substitute for the usb/bt joystick center. It seems all the other apps don't work properly. Maybe my gamepad (Saitek Rumblepad P2500) is too special, I don't know.

However, yesterday I was able to install the Google app store successfully on Udoo, so now I don't rely on aptitude apps anymore and can go checking the Google store as well, so that's a lot more options for me, also in terms of emulators. Will report again when I have news about that.

19. Bela

Bela Member

how have you installed the google app store? I've done it a few times with other chinese tablets but I wasn't sure about Udoo. I'll try it tomorrow :p

20. Decion

Decion New Member

There is thread in this forum in the android section explaining what to do:
    http://www.udoo.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=327

You will need another linux PC or a linux live CD to boot from to do what is stated there. Additionally you need a card adapter for the micro sd card. I had a USB card reader, so I sticked the sd card in it and connected it with my substitute PC which runs Ubunto and it was just able to read the sd card from there. So I could do the things as explained in the thread.

While following the procedure I noticed however that my sd card already showed max capacity so it was probably already resized maybe because they fixed that in the latest Android v1.2 version, so I skipped those steps and just went on with the commands in the terminal windows for unzipping and placing the Google Apps download stuff.

Please note, on the initial reboot after the above procedure my Udoo was very slowly loading into the Android start screen but then got also unresponsive for about 5 minutes. I thought something must have gone wrong but then in the end it gave me a welcome screen with some questions from the Google Apps Store, so you can get your google account connected. From there on everything just went fine. I have full access to the Google Apps account and don't see limitations with it which is just great.