UDOO X86 Startup Issue

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by oldevel, Jun 6, 2019.

1. oldevel

oldevel UDOOer

I recently inherited a project which uses the UDOO X86. It runs Linux Mint.

The Main UDOO in use an issue which I would like to resolve.

For the first few days while using the board, it would run normally for a while, between 15 and 30 minutes, and would then show the yellow/orange LED. I was told that I would have to disconnect power and wait a few minutes before restarting the device.

After a few days, with periodic use of the board, it failed again, and would not start up again. Although I checked it with a different PSU, and with and without peripherals, I have not been able to get any response. I also spent time on the forum and the UDOO web site in search of things to try, yet without success. I tried other working UDOO boards, and these work perfectly.

Any guidance from members or UDOO support towards further attempts to recover this board will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

2. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Just some toughts:
    Reset UEFI settings.
    Check mint log files for errors.
    Check temperature of CPU, is it overheating? Does it have a Fan?
    Reinstall OS. Update OS
    Startup with another live OS on an USB drive the test if it is now stable.
    We're is the OS located on, eMMC, external disk?

evaloverde likes this.
  3. oldevel

oldevel UDOOer

@waltervl , thank you for your suggestions.

Unfortunately I am not able to access the device given my little I have read.
    Therefore, I cannot reset UEFI settings, and obviously have no access to what exists on it's internal storage.
    Further suggestions relating to what I may attempt in order to begin an attempt to revive mu UDOO x86 board will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

4. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

I do not understand: If you are not able to access your device, what can you do? With this little information you give it is hard to troubleshoot.
    Waht did the original owner do to it? Can you have it reinstalled?

Can you connect a monitor and keyboard and mouse to the Udoo? Then you can see what happens on the screen. Then you can also check the log files. search for that on google.

Try if you can get into the UEFI menu: https://www.udoo.org/docs-x86/Hardware_Reference/UEFI_Firmware.html
    And reset the UEFI to default according the instructions on that page.

It could be the OS is malfunctioning on the Udoo so try to reinstall Linux Mint. Best is to first try to boot from a USB Live disk of Mint eg: https://www.lifewire.com/create-uefi-bootable-linux-mint-usb-2202084
    If that installetion runs fine the source of your problem is the already Mint OS.So you have to reinstall that (can be through the already available USB Live disk)

Another possibiliti that the Arduino part of the Udoo is resetting the Linux part. So try to upload a empty Arduino sketch to the Udoo Arduino 101: https://www.udoo.org/docs-x86/Arduino_101_(Intel_Curie)/Getting_Started_with_Arduino_101.html

5. oldevel

oldevel UDOOer

@waltervl - Thank you for your response and patience.

As mentioned, I 'inherited' this project, and unfortunately the previous project owner is no longer available.

You ask what I can do with the device at present. Nothing unfortunately.
    When I apply power to the device, it does nothing, and the orange light stays lit.

In addition, the mouse and keyboard are not activated, and there is no signal on the HDMI.

An identical good board with the same devices connected to it works perfectly.

I carefully measured the voltage levels across the large ceramic capacitors on the good board, and then measured the same on the unresponsive board. The voltages are the same, and I conclude from this that although the board and USB ports have 5V power, yet the UDOO does not activate the USB peripherals.

I have used different power supplies, 12V 5A + capable, the board draws between 30mA and 50mA. A good board usually varies above 80mA after startup, and then stabilizes at about 73mA with Mint running, and zero application activity.

The reason for my attempts at resurrection of this particular board is because I need to make an image of the eMMC. My predecessor did not make backup images, and I am left with an unresponsive UDOO which is the only board with working software.

My request thus relates to an attempt to get this board at a point where I am able to extract an image of the eMMC without destroying what is on the eMMC.

If there is any way in which you can walk me through lower-level procedures in order to attempt low-level diagnosis towards non-destructive recovery, this will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

6. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

I think you have a brick here. If also a USB Live disk is not able to boot the device than there is no further action to take.....

evaloverde likes this.