form factor and power constraints questions.

Discussion in 'UDOO BOLT' started by thud, Apr 23, 2019.

1. thud

thud New Member

So I really want to setup my udoo bolt as a router/NAS. I have already received mine and confirmed it posts fine with 65w power adapter.

Question 1: I can't find any cases that fits its form factor 120/120 mm square (nano itx?) so is there an adapter plate to install in a mini itx case?

Question 2: is there a IO shield i can order so that it fits snugly in most computer cases?

Question 3: I have 2.5in hard drives to setup my NAS. Only power connector i can use for hard drives is a 4 pin JST connector. Says its 1amp max. I can't seem to find very many jst to sata power connector cables for 3 or 4 hard drives. If i can't get enough power from the board to power my other devices like hard drives etc. What do you recommend i get to supplement with more power?

Appreciate the advice.

2. evaloverde

evaloverde Administrator Staff Member

Ciao Thud,

I come bearing answers!

Question 1: We have produced a case that fits UDOO BOLT like a glove. It's not available in our shop at the moment, but it will be soon. Be sure to follow us on our social media accounts to get notified as soon as it comes out. However, we don't produce an adapter plate from itx to mini itx.

Question 2: At the moment we don't have one available or in the making, but I'll try to pitch it as a new idea.

Question 3: So, if the cable you have is the same you can see at this link https://shop.udoo.org/catalog/produ...ata-and-power-cables-for-udoo-x86/category/3/ then it's compatible.
    Unfortunately, the technical team has tried to use a SATA port multiplier and it doesn't work, so at the moment I can't help you with that. If something changes I'll make sure to post in this topic.

3. Kal Sze

Kal Sze New Member

I think Udoo should put more effort into resolving the board-housing issue. Either make the official case purchasable ASAP or make (Nano-)ITX I/O shield compatible with the Bolt.

Currently it's probably the biggest barrier to anybody wanting to purchase the Bolt. Nobody (except hardcore makers) wants to buy a bare board that they cannot house. Make the case available on Mouser (even if on backorder). You need to hurry before the board itself becomes outdated.

4. evaloverde

Ciao Kal,
    thank you for expressing your concern. The case is going to be available to the public as soon as we finish shipping them to our backers.
    If you're referring to the upcoming Raspberry 4, our BOLT has way more power.

5. Kal Sze

Kal Sze New Member

Haha. I'm not referring to the Raspberry Pi 4, although that's also on my shopping list. I don't think the Raspberry Pi 4 really competes with the Bolt anyway.

I was just referring to the general trend of new SBCs being released, with ever higher performance.

If you get the official Bolt case listed on Mouser today, even on backorder, I think the sales for the Bolt will increase dramatically because potential buyers can order both the board and the case together, and they get more assurance that they are getting a somewhat complete thing, as opposed to just a board that they may or may not find suitable housing for.

6. evaloverde

Thank you for the suggestion, I'll try to pitch the idea to management and see if they agree.

7. Lator

Lator UDOOer

Hi, has there been any update in the SATA Port Multiplier? It would be quite useful.

8. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

re: build your own NAS
    The harddrive power must be supplied directly from a power suply, not for the LP AlphaDelta board.
    I.e., Build a power supply which will feed the power to LP A/D via 4-pin DC-In connector, and at the same time, to SATA drives.

re: supporting multiple SATA drives
    Ans: SATA port multipler is not a good solution. The bottleneck is always in that SATA protocol mux. IC which is not the right way.
    (BTW, none of the reasonable NAS designers would choose that route.)
    Best way is to use PCIe bus extender to bring the PCIe signal out to a regular sized PCIe bus adapter card, then
    insert the best of breed PCIe SATA controller.
    <-- if you need more SATA ports (means more SATA adapter cards), then use "PCIe to two PCIe" bridge board