Removing the M.2 Standoff?

Discussion in 'UDOO BOLT' started by SolidGoomba, Jun 18, 2019.

1. SolidGoomba

SolidGoomba UDOOer

I'm using the m.2 key b for a sata ssd, but having trouble finding a 1tb in the 2260 form factor, but the 2280 is long enough I could hold it in place under the key m m.2, (janky I know, will upload). The only issue is the card sits against the existing 2260 standoff. Is it possible to remove this standoff from the board? I'm assuming it screws in and can probably be removed with a wrench or pliers, but would like to see if anyone has any information on the assembly before I start breaking things. Image included of the standoff I wish to remove. [​IMG]

2. SolidGoomba

SolidGoomba UDOOer

Whoops, pic didn't attach. [​IMG]

3. Flash2k6

Flash2k6 New Member

Why remove it? Can you just put a piece of electrical tape over it (take the screw out of course) so it doesn't touch and will that work? You may not have to remove the standoff at all.

4. SolidGoomba

SolidGoomba UDOOer

The issue is it does touch and even puts some pressure on the ssd, so I'd prefer to remove it.

5. SolidGoomba

SolidGoomba UDOOer

Can anyone on the UDOO team let me know whether the standoff is threaded into the board or fused?

6. SolidGoomba

SolidGoomba UDOOer

Anyone? Guess I'm just going to go for it and hope for the best. Appreciate the response from the team.

7. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

Sorry can't see something obvious (push-in, soldered-in, etc.) so probably you'll be the first.

8. SolidGoomba

SolidGoomba UDOOer

Probably, and looking at it, it does appear it'll be fine, but I have a serious aversion to physically modifying expense hardware without foreknowledge that things will work out. I figured with all the production photos, updates, testing someone on the UDOO team would know exactly how those are connected. Guess I'll be posting back how it went tonight.

GerbenT likes this.
  9. SolidGoomba

SolidGoomba UDOOer

Had to use some channel locks, but it twisted right off. Judging by the residue, it appears the standoffs are glued in.

10. GerbenT

GerbenT UDOOer

@SolidGoomba I've seen exactly what you mean .... using 2 times a 2280 size m2 stick is possible , the nvme one can keep the sata one in place ... and also saw the preasure the standoff was creating ... I have not dared to turn it on like that ... how did it go ?

one thing that I noticed ... @Flash2k6 mentioned taking the screw out of the standoff .... Was your bolt delivered with screws in the standoff ? ... I had to buy them of (udoo shop)

11. SolidGoomba

SolidGoomba UDOOer

@GerbenT I never dared turn it on with the pressure in place, but I did eventually bite and remove the standoff itself, they appear to be glued in place, but once I was able to get a grip on it came right off. In the current configuration with the standoff removed and the nvme holding it in place I don't seem to be getting any issues.

My bolt did come with screws in the standoffs, that's crappy yours weren't included.

12. SolidGoomba

SolidGoomba UDOOer

Here are some images with the 2280 m.2 sata ssd being held in place by the nvme in case anyone else is considering going down this road and removing the standoff.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

GerbenT likes this.
  13. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

Thanks for the picture.
    Just a suggestion...
    Key-M slot's PCIe adapter, per your picture is the 2-lane version of the extender board. There is a 4-lane version of the adapter board which would offer all 4 lanes of PCIe bus at BOLT's full potential.

14. SolidGoomba

SolidGoomba UDOOer

15. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

4x version looks like this:
    PCIe_4x_adapter.jpg

GerbenT likes this.
  16. SolidGoomba

SolidGoomba UDOOer

Ahhh, I appreciate that, still learning my way around hardware. I'm currently using it for an external GPU, curious to see if my benchmarks will improve with the full 4 lanes.