Arduino Shield for Udoo

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by praveen, Dec 19, 2013.

1. praveen

praveen New Member

Hi all,
    Have anyone worked with the arduino due on udoo using shields. If any provide the details for the same.
    Also I have attached a jpg image which i found on udoo advertisement in kickstarter, can anyone name the shield used to control motors and where it is available.
    I need the shields to work on arduino side of udoo. provide the details of the shields and their availability.
    Is their any common shield available in market to work with different modules ( eg:- gps, gsm, xbee etc) on arduino side of udoo.

Attached Files:

2. EBrown

EBrown New Member

The "Shields" column is a list of all the Ardiuno Shields. The Udoo should be compatible with all of them as the Ardiuno side is the exact same as a Due.

http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Products

The one they used is the Motor Shield.

Thanks,
    EBrown

3. andcmp

andcmp New Member

Please, pay attention:

UDOO as well as the Arduino DUE is 3.3V I/O compliant so not all the Arduino Shields will work with UDOO since many of this shields are 5V I/O compliant. Using a 5V shield may compromise your UDOO.

I copy paste the Arduino DUE disclaimer: "Warning: Unlike other Arduino boards, the Arduino Due board runs at 3.3V. The maximum voltage that the I/O pins can tolerate is 3.3V. Providing higher voltages, like 5V to an I/O pin could damage the board."

4. EBrown

EBrown New Member

There you go, you can only use the 3.3V shields. (Which seems completely idiotic to me, why build a common interface but have multiple protocols, that are incompatible with each other? That's like building a USB device that requires 3.3V. Or even better, a computer power supply that requires 480V.)

But, alas, it's not Udoo's fault, as they simply copied the Arduino Due, which means they had no choice in the matter, the choice to use 3.3V as opposed to 5V was made for them.

Personally, if it were me running the Ardiuno system, I would have made 5V shields have one format, and 3.3V shields have another. So that you cannot plug a 3.3V shield into a 5V Arduino, or a 5V shield into a 3.3V Arduino.

Thanks,
    EBrown

5. andcmp

andcmp New Member

EBrown you have to consider that the iMX6 CPU works at 3.3V as well, also, 3.3 is today standard although we are still stuck at 5, old standard.

6. EBrown

EBrown New Member

I know, that's not the point I was making.

The Arduino group built n shields, that are all supposed to be compatible with Arduino boards, but they're not compatible with ALL Arduino boards. I'm not saying anything you guys did was wrong, in fact quite to the contrary. You wanted to copy the Due in every way possible, and that required the use of 3.3V IO's for the shields. The problem I have, is why make ALL shields have the exact same pinout, but work on one of two different voltages? That's the point I am trying to make. In the real world we don't get to do things like that. If you create a standard for something, it had better be a standard. Not a "some of this stuff uses this one and some of this stuff uses this other one."

And for the record, the voltage I use most often is either 12V or 24V. (My automotive logic works at 12V, but the logic in the factory is at 24V.)

Again, not saying anything "bad" about either group, I just don't think the Arduino group made the correct decision there.

Thanks,
    EBrown

7. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

Arduino just recently (in the last year or so) really starting wrapping some "standards" around the shields as they were rapidly growing out of hand.

The Due is the one of the latest of a new bread that use the 32-bit processor and you will find that most (if not all) of the newer boards will tend to lean towards the 3.3v.
    You can surely design systems to handle larger voltages and there are even logic level shifters that will allow you to safety work with 5v on the 3.3v platform like the Due. one popular one is the one from Digistump that they released with the DigiX (they make good products)

All that said, as Andcmp noted the UDOO uses an almost 1:1 clone of the official Arduino Due. so generally speaking anything that is compatible with the official Due board should work fine with the UDOO.
    Also note that even though the Mega is a similar form factor, Mega shields should not be assumed compatible as many may run with 5v

8. praveen

praveen New Member

Hi all ,

Have any one worked on any of the shields on arduino side of udoo, let me know

Thank u,,

9. hushunghung

hushunghung New Member

I've run "Arduino Motor Shield R3" success on Udoo.

Using 3V DC Motor + Without external Battery.

It is as the below link connection method.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BINTdySCEAIJgbM.jpg

And I using the following steps

http://www.instructables.com/id/Arduino-Motor-Shield-Tutorial/

But I missing one thing that is "DO NOT RUN ARDUINO PROGRAM on Udoo itself's ubuntu O/S's IDE ."

After I tried this thing, my system was gone to destroy and dead.

It can't load the system when booting.

So next time I will using PC to access Udoo port.

10. venkatbo

venkatbo Member

'am not seeing that statement made anywhere.

If anything, according to the following it is possible:

Are you indicating that is not true ?

/venkat

11. hushunghung

hushunghung New Member

No, I just say, when I use UDOO as MINIPC and run Linaro ubuntu 12.04's arduino IDE for arduino board.

It will appear error situation.

Not using PC for programming arduino issue.