Bolt V8 failing to boot and entering BIOS setup.

Discussion in 'UDOO BOLT' started by Gerry Havinga, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Gerry Havinga

Gerry Havinga UDOOer

Thank you guys for getting the Bolt into production and sending the batches out. I received mine this Wednesday and I am really impressed.

I managed to install Windows 10 Pro on an SSD card (Transcend TS512GMTE110S in slot CN17) without to much problems. I have updated the AMD drivers (resolution of 800x600 does look a bit dated ;-).

I do have an intermittent problem where the Bolt (V8) does not want to boot or even enter BIOS setup.

When my Bolt is in this non-bootable state, I can recover by removing the SSD card. At power up the Bolt immediately enters into the BIOS setup (as it should). After I save and exit the BIOS, power down and re-install the Transcend SSD it boots fine into Windows 10. After this I can restart many times before the issue repeats itself.
    Does anyone have any idea what is wrong (BIOS setting e.g.)?

2. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

The USB-C power supply method is not always working coreectly, I see more comments on this issue.
    If you use a normal adapter (search for HP PAVILION BLUE PIN 3.33A LAPTOP CHARGER 65W) it is supported to do the job. See for example Problem booting up V3 for first time

evaloverde and LDighera like this.
  3. Gerry Havinga

Gerry Havinga UDOOer

Thanks Waltervl,

Yes I did have that problem at the very beginning, but I bought a universal laptop powersupply, the "Universele laptop adapter 45W-65W-90W - Asus - Acer-HP - Dell - Lenovo - Samsung - Sony - Zedar®" from a company called Zedar. Works very well indeed.

During weekend before last I installed Windows 10 Pro. During that process, for unknown reasons as yet, the Bolt did not want to boot from the Transcend SSD card. The Bolt didn't even showed the ESC/DEL prompt anymore to get into the BIOS. The only way I managed to get back into the BIOS and the system was to remove the SSD card (unscrew it and take it out). Boot into the BIOS (automatic after power on). Switched off, put the SSD back in and power up into Windows 10.......

But since Wednesday last weekend, after I reinstalled Windows 10 Pro it didn't happen again. Now it is very stable and consistently boots into Win 10.

I did mess around with the UEFI and legacy BIOS boot settings, but none of the things I tried made any difference. The Bolt is working fine now, but I have no idea why it refused to boot intermittently. Did Windows 10 Pro adjusted the BIOS somehow?

4. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Glad it works now. I have no experience with W10 on Udoo's so not able to help you with this. It could also be that the M2 SSD was somehow not connected correctly or some dust in the connector.