Fan unit not always activated when temperature raising

Discussion in 'UDOO BOLT' started by marc.d, Aug 12, 2019.

1. marc.d

marc.d UDOOer

Hi Udoo Bolt users,

The title says it all. I've been using the Udoo Bolt V8 over the last couple of days, and experienced that the fan kicks in very frequenly (every couple of minutes), at low temperatures already (at around 40 centigrades).

The issue is that sometimes, the fan unit is not spinning for a longer period (about 10 minutes). Checking the temperature it's going to 80-90 centigrades! Initially I power off the Bolt, and power it on again after a few minutes. But that is annoying so I sometimes spin the fan unit manually, after which the fan unit becomes activated again and the unit starts spinning and stops after that when the temperature drops below 38 centigrades.

The last time i tried this I even accidentally stopped the fan unit again, and one of the scoops even broke off!

Ok, the Bolt stll works, but the fan unit does not rotate in a balanced way anymore, and it makes even more noise that it did before :-(

I agree, i made a mistake and should never have done that ...

In any case, I would greatly appreciate the engineers getting back to me and explaining how the fan unit can be replaced, preferably by a low noise fan unit that supports PWM,

To be honest, I would love to keep this little rig up and running all the time and act as as server, but with the temperature and fan unit issues at hand, i don't think using the Bolt as a server is wise.

Thanks,

Marc

AlfUpaTree likes this.
  2. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

Fan control feature in the current firmware is not tuned correctly. Will have to wait for the next release(s).

3. marc.d

marc.d UDOOer

Good to know, thanks for the info.

Will a fan unit be available on the store when all Bolt units are enrolled to the kickstarter supporters?

Marc

4. evaloverde

evaloverde Administrator Staff Member

Ciao Marc, the fan is designed to start at 85°C (or 82°C). It seems hot to normal human standards but to SBCs that's completely normal. The fan goes on when its temperature reaches 85°C, and it goes off when the boar is under that limit.

I'm sorry it broke. For reference, in the documentation you can find extremely detailed files of the board's fan and heatsink here and here.

I don't know for sure if the fan is going to be in the shop when the campaign's over. Next week I'll be back home and I'll tell you more about it!

5. Xeyrruken

Xeyrruken UDOOer

Same problem happening here, yesterday my bolt went up to 101 degrees, and I had to manually rotate the fan so it could activate, it is happening very often. Sometimes it turns on, sometimes it doesn't. If it is not bad tuning then my fan is malfunctioning.

6. Xeyrruken

Xeyrruken UDOOer

Watch the video until the end, 1 min video with my fan issue, here temp rise up to 87, at other times my temp went up to 95 and the system was totally unstable. For the fan start working I have to tap it or gently rotate it.

Password: udoobolt

AlfUpaTree likes this.
  7. nophead

nophead UDOOer

Something is wrong because my fan switches on a full power, so it always starts and makes a lot of noise.

8. evaloverde

Ciao nophead. Currently the fan has two modes: ON/OFF, so it's completely normal

9. nophead

nophead UDOOer

I wounder if you have actually got a 12V fan. That would be reluctant to start on 5V.

10. Xeyrruken

Xeyrruken UDOOer

Hey Eva, what about my issue?

11. kroll999

kroll999 New Member

Same problem for me. Ticket number

12. evaloverde

Ciao Kroll, opening a ticket was the right choice. Xey, I shared the issue with the tech team, but I suggest opening a ticket as well.

13. Yiks

Yiks UDOOer

My interest in this post is because my unit turned off by itself while I was browsing in a newly installed Win 10. Did notice no fan sound for a while which I initially thought was a good thing.

Kinda can smell the heat. It was very hot. Won’t turn on again. Tot it was dead but starts up after left it to cool down. Looks like I’ll wait for a fan firmware update before using. Funnily it was working fine on my Ubuntu installation.

14. evaloverde

Thank you from the head of the tech team for sharing the video, it's going to be useful in figuring out the issue. We've not experienced it in-house, so we're running some tests and will let you know more as soon as we're finished.

To all of you experiencing issues with the vent, do you see a green dot by the side of the vent? Please share, it could help us figure out the vent's lot number.

15. Xeyrruken

Xeyrruken UDOOer

Thanks for the update Eva, as soon as I get home I will update my ticket with the number and post it here.

16. Xeyrruken

Xeyrruken UDOOer

Monitor your temps, download a temp monitor, I'm using CoreTemp and logging all the temps. I'm monitoring the temps and fan activity depending on the task I'm working on. Using high demanding apps, like a game or video conversion, will rise temp, considerably. Based on the information I have read in the form, the fan is supposed to be automatically turned on at 85 degrees, which I believe it's pretty high. What I have seen, is that while I'm actively using the Udoo bolt and coding, the fan turns on randomly and most of the time got kind of stuck, see my video up there, Post #6 and you will see how my fan behaves.

Additionally, I have check out the setting of the 85c within the bios and that setting is not for the fan itself, it is to let the CPU start lowering resources when it gets to high temp, that's why when my Bolt reaches 98 degrees I started to notice the system ultra-slow. After that situation, I don't let it go above 85C.

I will keep doing some test, and not use it so heavily until there is a new firmware out. I am providing all the info I got to the tech team so they could have a better understanding of the Issue.

My UDOO Bolt V8 Specs
    RAM: 4GB DDR4 2400 MHZ Transcend (Provided by UDOO) - Changing to 16gb DDR4 2400 MHZ Crucial, based on users they work fine
    HDD/SSD: M.2 NVME Intel 660P 1TB
    Wireless: Intel Wireless-Ac 9260, 2230, 2X2 Ac+Bt, Gigabit, No Vpro
    Power: USB-C via Dell Universal Dock D6000
    Drivers Up to Date

I was getting POWER_DRIVER_OF_STATE BSOD and it was due that the power options within windows, was set to maximum performance, but the advances setting under HDD Idling was set to 20 minutes, and since I have an NVME, you cant idle an NVME without crashing windows. Changing the setting to Never has fixed that BSOD error.

Daniel Szeto, Yiks and ccs_hello like this.
  17. Yiks

Yiks UDOOer

Thanks for the details.
    Have downloaded and installed CoreTemp to monitor temps.
    Have set HDD Idling for all power profiles from 20 mins to Never.

Will monitor as I use and report if i encounter issues.

My UDOO Bolt V8 Specs
    RAM: 8GB DDR4 2400 MHZ Transcend (Provided by UDOO)
    HDD/SSD: M.2 NVME Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB(Win10), Sata SSD Samsung 860 Evo 500GB(ubuntu 19.04)
    Wireless: Udoo's Bluetooth & Wifi module
    Power: Udoo provided PSU

Thanks once again for your response.

18. Alan Wong

Alan Wong New Member

LOL omg I have the same problem as Xeyrruken. I was wondering why the fan wasn't kicking in at 85c. Thanks for the video. I have the enclosure and have to blow into the box to start the fan up.

Xeyrruken likes this.
  19. KraftSaft

KraftSaft New Member

Hi,

I have the same Problem.

The fan wasn`t spinning sometimes but i didnt worry about it till it one time just turned off and the heat sink was too hot to touch. I thought it was just that one time till i saw this thread.

Yesterday i worked on the Bold and had to start the Fan manually about 3 times. I could see that it is thermal throttling as the system was very slow and laggy and the Task Manager showed 0,38 GHz. When i manually spund the fan it kicked in and the clock speed went up to Standard. Core Temp showed 88 - 90 degrees.

My UDOO Bolt V8 Specs
    RAM: 4GB DDR4 2400 MHz (Provided by UDOO)
    HDD/SSD: M.2 NVME WD Black SN750 256 GB (Win10)
    Wireless: Intel WLAN/Bluetooth Module AC 9260
    Power: Udoo provided PSU

20. thej95

thej95 New Member

Same issue here, opened a ticket too.