XBMC release

Discussion in 'XBMC' started by wolfgar, Dec 6, 2013.

1. pires100

pires100 New Member

1080P Movie playback stutter and eventual freeze

Hi again Stephan

I have two issues to report that are definitely worth mentioning if you dont already know about them:

1. When i try and play 1080p movies(most of my 1080p movies are about 8GB up to 15GB files) I have noticed the HDMI image from my udoo-quad starts to flicker and soon after xbmc freezes up completely and the image just goes black. I am streaming these files from a NAS drive using NFS(not sure if streaming via NFS is a problem in your xbmc image perhaps?). My 720p movies dont seem to stutter or freeze at all

2. I notice a faint dark purple line accross the screen at the bottom of the image when playing any movie.

3. I have been using a USB IR receiver that i plug into the USB port of the udoo which comes with a basic "PC Remote" that i point at the IR receiver and i can then control the XBMC GUI from a remote. Only problem is I find when i have this IR receiver plugged in it works perfectly and then after 20 minutes or so playing a movie XBMC freezes and has to be rebooted. I'm guessing this might jsut be related to USB drivers or something? The remote I am using is exactly this one...
    http://dghengyong.diytrade.com/sdp/1887 ... ter_P.html

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! I love your work and am hoping to help you get this XBMC image of yours working perfectly and then add my own packages(SICKBEARD,COUCHPOTATO AND HEADPHONES) to your XBMC yocto image and compile it myself

2. pires100

pires100 New Member

..whoops that was actually 3 issues to report...

3. Sherman

Sherman New Member

Hi Stephan!

I'm very pleased to hear that the PVR support issue, is being resolved upon your next release :D Good job, thank you and kudos!

I will happily act as "guinea pig" when debugging sound issues :)

I also have my quad connected to a NAS, and streaming with NFS and 1080p works flawless during playback, only bug I notice is the gui actiing funny, on playback...

Best regards

Chris

4. pires100

pires100 New Member

Yes its strange cos I tried playing the same 1080p movies just now and there was no problem at all thos time...it seems like an intermittent problem :(...very confusing

5. mrpi_314

mrpi_314 New Member

@fabulous: I had the same problem while trying to install samba. As the required /dev/null exists and is just unknown by the package management, you can work arround this problem:

Code:
    cd /var/lib/smart/packages/
    rpm -ivh --nodeps busybox-syslog-1.21.1-r0.cortexa9hf_vfp_neon.rpm
    After that you can install samba and it will work smoothly.

6. fabulou$

fabulou$ New Member

@mrpi_314 : Thank you for reply.
    I still have the problem.
    Code:
    root@udoo-quad:/var/lib/smart/packages# rpm -ivh --nodeps busybox-syslog-1.21.1-r0.cortexa9hf_vfp_neon.rpm
    Preparing...                ########################################### [100%]
    error: Install/Erase problems:
            package busybox-syslog-1.21.1-r0.cortexa9hf_vfp_neon is already installed

7. pires100

pires100 New Member

I would just like to add some other things I noticed that might be worth mentioning...

1. I cannot set a static DNS server and have it keep the setting. I added an entry to etc/resolv.conf and it updates successfuly until I reboot the Udoo and the DNS server setting then seems to get lost and I have to enter it again. I was able to successfully set the IP address of xbmc to a static address however and that setting stuck even after reboots of the udoo-quad. Am i doing something wrong maybe?

2. I tried to apply Aeon MQ5 skin instead of the default confluence but this seems impossible. I downloaded the new skin successfully and then when i try to apply it i get a message saying some files are missing and thats why i cant set this skin. Not sure what thats about...

Hope these little reports help :)...

8. fabulou$

fabulou$ New Member

I managed to install samba with stepped install :
    ignoring packages already installed.

9. Keridos

Keridos New Member

So this image has a package manager that can be used to install Samba? And it supports the sata connector and the gigabit ethernet? If yes I am gonna make my udoo my Media Centre / NAS and use the raspberry pi for experimenting and stuff.

10. fabulou$

fabulou$ New Member

I've juste finished my own nas media center :

RJ45 gigabit => yes
    SATA HDD3.5" EXT4 => yes
    samba share => yes
    que du bonheur / FULL HAPPINESS

11. wolfgar

wolfgar New Member

Hi all,

Just a little update.
    I am totally committed to development.
    Still a little bug with liveTV but then I will be able to package the new image and I guess it will address many of your issues with a pretty nice experience (including for liveTV)

I come back as soon as I can
    Stephan

12. pires100

pires100 New Member

Thank you again Stephan. We appreciate your hard work!

13. jfey

jfey New Member

Stephan,

Will the FLAC problem be solved with your next update? That would be great.

I am very happy with the solution already- its just that a am using FLAC since a while when ripping my CDs for a better result. All of those are out of reach right now.

Again, thanks for your work!

cheers

Juergen

14. mrpi_314

mrpi_314 New Member

Hi Stephan,

is it possible, that you include some kernel filesystem modules in the next image? I think some users already asked for NTFS and FUSE but Btrfs and NFS (server and client mode) would be nice to.

Thanks for your greate work!

15. wolfgar

wolfgar New Member

Hi,

That's it, next release is almost ready !

Not perfect but greatly improved I hope: Links to udoo versions will be added in a few minutes in this post : http://stephan-rafin.net/blog/2014/01/2 ... cto-image/

I won't be able to write a decent release note before this weekend but it is for the impatient and adventurous users ;-)

Stephan

16. fabulou$

fabulou$ New Member

Thanks Stephan, I'll test it this evening.

17. Sherman

Sherman New Member

Thank you very much Stephan!

The live-tv part works great with my tvh-server :D

And I can play FLAC :D

Thank you once more for you're dedication, it's much appreciated!

Best regards

Chris

18. fabulou$

fabulou$ New Member

nice job !
    samba OK, samba conf via nano editor OK
    Perfect, using as a nas/ media center ...

thanks for all Stephan

19. Nexxy

Nexxy New Member

nice job :) thx

20. kshysiek

kshysiek New Member

Great Job Stephan!

I managed to set it up on my UDOO and using it as a Media Centre, NAS Drive (thanks to samba) and UPnP renderer.

Regarding SPDIF, is it required to do some configuration of pin headers, macros, recompiling kernel?

I connected my cable to pin D44 (gpio101) and GND (D54) and set audio output device to "imx-hdmi-soc, HDMI", but it doesn't work.

Any hint?

Cheers!