Fan unit not always activated when temperature raising

Discussion in 'UDOO BOLT' started by marc.d, Aug 12, 2019.

1. nophead

nophead UDOOer

When it does spin is it quite noisy and powerfull? Needing to be started manually would imply one coil is not working or it is a 12V fan on 5V. The latter would spin quite slowly.

2. Karsteb

Karsteb New Member

I have the same problem. Udoo Bolt V8 Fan under Ubuntu doesn't start while temperature raising. Have to start it manually.

3. evaloverde

evaloverde Administrator Staff Member

Ciao @Karsteb , please open a ticket regarding this issue. If you could also share whether you see a green dot beside the vent. This would help identify the lot number.

4. Karsteb

Karsteb New Member

I have a green dot beside the vent.

5. Yiks

Yiks UDOOer

Idling with only chrome browser and CoreTemp running. Chorme browser on udoo forums. Have uploaded the temp log. Saw temp go up to 114 degCelcius. Tried to open file explorer and it just shutdown.

I'll raise a ticket. with others chiming in. Definitely an issue.

Attached Files:

6. Yiks

Yiks UDOOer

Opened ticket #501378

7. KraftSaft

KraftSaft New Member

Opened ticket #789479

8. marc.d

marc.d UDOOer

Saturday morning I wanted to find out if the Udoo provided dock with ethernet and 3 usb ports would become active when connecting the dock while the bolt is in a cold state, and then powering on, booting into Linux.

I did not get that far though, because after only a few minutes I noticed a burning smell so I quickly powered of the bold. The fan was not spinning at that point in time, so it probably is the temperature issue again. The only devices connected were a unifying receiver, an HDMI monitor, and the 'dock' connected to one of the usb-c ports.

I removed the fan and the heatsink. To my surprise the heatsink came loose very easily, and at the same time I noticed the surface with the thermal paste was dry and hard. I'm not sure this is normal, but in any case, I cleaned the surfaces of the processor and the heatsink using isopropyl alcohol. I ordered an alternative fan unit via amazon, and I will only provide power to the board again once I have it reassembled with the alternative fan unit installed. I hope I removed power quickly enough so that the processor did not get damaged, but I can understand a unit fails after overheating issues, although i don't really understand where that smell came from.

So again, this seems to be the temperature issue raised before by multiple people. Does raising another ticket for this issue add more weight to this issue? If it does, I also will raise a ticket.

I'll keep you guys posted, but it might take a while before receiving the alternative fan unit.

Cheers,

Marc

Attached Files:

9. evaloverde

Ciao Marc! Yes, opening a ticket is the best course of action. We keep track of the problem(s) raised in every ticket. So having 5 tickets or 30 tickets on an issue helps us to see what we should focus on.

Share whether you see a green dot on the side of the fan, your OS and any other information that might be relevant please.

10. KraftSaft

KraftSaft New Member

On mine there is a green dot on the side of the fan.

Also my post are all held back till moderation. Could i be switched to the UDOOer Forumsgroup?

waltervl likes this.
  11. Yetii

Yetii New Member

I too have a green dot on the side of my fan unit, and have created a ticket. Looking forward to finding a resolution for this :)

12. evaloverde

Thank you, guys. It truly helps us figure out what the issue is. At the moment we've stopped shipping because of this

13. Yiks

Yiks UDOOer

Green dot on fan near heat sink vents as well.

14. marc.d

marc.d UDOOer

No green dot in my case.

But can someone say what the meaning of that green dot is?

15. evaloverde

It's a way for us to recognize the vent's lot.

16. sirrab

sirrab UDOOer

And what does that mean?

17. Yetii

Yetii New Member

Things are usually manufactured in batches for various reasons, in this case it allows the folks at UDOO to determine if the issue lies with the fan unit itself if for example a lot of fans from one batch/lot are having issues then you can assume it was a faulty lot and act accordingly. From marc.d's recent post it looks like it is unlikely to be a bad fan lot, which means they can focus on looking at other possible reasons for the fan issue.

18. marc.d

marc.d UDOOer

Oh, I was looking to the side of the fan on the motherboard, not to the side of the fan itself, that's a misunderstanding from my side. Sorry about the confusion, because indeed there is a green dot ... blush

Marc

Attached Files:

19. nophead

nophead UDOOer

I have a green dot but my fan works fine.

20. Yiks

Yiks UDOOer

Been monitoring the Fan on and off temps. Typically it switches off around 36.5 degCelcius and switches on around 43.5 degCelcius.
    When it goes above 43.5 degCelcius and the fan doesn't spin. Noticed the fan twitching as though attempting to spin.

Either fan mechanically a problem or power to the fan is inadequate.