Should I use 5V or 3.3V pins for programming arduino board?

Discussion in 'UDOO 101' started by pavelexpertov, Jan 15, 2014.

1. pavelexpertov

pavelexpertov New Member

Hello, I have been using udoo board as arduino due board to learn programming by using external computer that uploads sketches. I have been using 5V and GND pins to do some programming. However, I read about arduino due on the arduino.cc and it told me I should use 3.3V logic for pins, otherwise board is destroyed. I talked to a colleague and he said I should avoid using 5V pin and use 3.3V instead. What I do not understand that is that my board seems to be fine and secondly I can not find 3.3V on the udoo board. Can anyone help me plz?!!!!! :oops:

2. mkopack

mkopack Member

Re: Should I use 5V or 3.3V pins for programming arduino boa

3.3V on the Udoo. It follows the Arduino Due physical pin standards.

Remember, logic-wise 0=off, anything +V = on. So logically 3.3V means the same as 5V, provided the stuff you're hooking up to the Udoo understands 3.3V logic levels. (ie, if you try to plug in something that expects 5V signaling, it might not consider 3.3V as an "on".

If you plug something in that pushes into the Udoo, it needs to not exceed 3.3V into the Udoo's pins or you risk burning it out.

3. pavelexpertov

pavelexpertov New Member

Thanks and the last part, do you mean if I plug in a module that only understands 3.3 V and not 5V, the module will be burnt then. What about the board itself, will it receive damage from it too?

4. mkopack

mkopack Member

what I mean is the following:

Let's say you are plugging in a sensor that is designed to work at 5V - That means that the sensor pushes it's signaling data (the read value) back to the UDoo at 5V. That will burn out the Udoo. Anything that you plug into the Udoo needs to be set up for 3.3V.

5. andcmp

andcmp New Member

Hi pavelexpertov, as mkopack said, UDOO runs at 3.3V which is the max voltage tolerate. Providing 5V or higher voltage could damage the board so I strongly recommend to do not plug anything that work with a voltage different from 3.3V on the I/O pins.

If you need to power something at 5V, note that UDOO provides a 5V output for this purpose but I/O pins only tolerate 3.3V.

6. mkopack

mkopack Member

for instance, let's say you use a sensor that is powered by 5V, but the outputs from the sensor (and thus inputs TO the udoo) are 3.3V, then you're fine (what's hooking directly to the udoo is 3.3V). IF however, the sensor's output pins push 5V, then that's a no-no, you'll burn out the udoo.

for the reverse - let's say the device your hooking to the udoo (say a D-to-A chip) is powered by 5V, but it accepts 3.3V signaling inputs, then you're ok. If the D-to-A expects 5V signaling, then you won't burn out the Udoo (because no power is coming back into the Udoo) but the D-to-A might or might NOT work, because the D-to-A in question might not see the 3.3V "on" as an on (because it's expecting to see a 5V "on" signal).

Follow?

Hope this helps.

7. pavelexpertov

pavelexpertov New Member

Yeah, thank you very much for your responses guys, I managed to realise my mistake quicker to prevent my board from burning out. However, I am very lucky that my board still works after using 5V pin for a while. I am wondering though, I have not pluged any sensors into the board yet and my latest project was to make a button work to turn LED on and off. So my button pushes the singal to the board at 5V when I use 5V pin, doesn't it? Thanks

8. mkopack

mkopack Member

If the input (power) side of the button is hooked to the 5v rail then yes.. Bad!!!! If you had a resistor in series between the button and the Udoo then it probably dropped the voltage enough to not fry anything, but still not a good idea to do...