Faulty CN9 USB-C connector/port?

Discussion in 'UDOO BOLT' started by marc.d, Sep 9, 2019.

1. marc.d

marc.d UDOOer

Hi all,

About 4 weeks back, after receiving my bolt, I was trying to get the USB-C hub (3 USB + Eth connectors) to life on the Udoo Bolt but failed doing so. I tried this a couple of times on the connector CN9 (next to the right HDMI connector), starting from a cold bolt (powered-off) as well as starting hot (already powered on, a.k.a. hot plugging)

At some point, when connected to CN9, I noticed a strange kind of burning smell, so I quickly powered off the bolt. When connecting the hub to CN8, there are no problems at all, and that port is working fine, also with a Sharkoon bay and a Lenovo USB-C travel hub I own.

However, past weekend I tried troubleshooting the CN9 connector issue again by cold-plugging the USB-C hub, and the second try I had that strange burning smell again. I tried it once more, hot-plugging the hub, and then the bolt even turned itself of immediately, while the power was still receiving power, so I also unplugged the udoo provided power supply.

Is anyone else suffering from a failing CN9 port? I've seen other posts (also on Kickstarter) where people talk about issues with USB-C and a failing USB-C hub. I think these issues are related, and I start to wonder if this behaviour is caused by flawed or faulty faulty circuitry on the PCB close to CN9.

Thanks for your replies already.

Marc

2. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

3. marc.d

marc.d UDOOer

Yes, I did that already. I hope to get a reply from Udoo's side soon.

Thanks for the heads-up anyhow.