Fan unit not always activated when temperature raising

Discussion in 'UDOO BOLT' started by marc.d, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Yiks

Yiks UDOOer

additionally overheat normally occurs when idle in win10. Opening a page with activity. eg goldprice.org seems to avoid the overheat. Sure seems like when idle some low power mode kicks in causing low power delivered to the fan as well. Guessing at this moment. will test it out to confirm.

waltervl likes this.
  2. Yetii

Yetii New Member

I seem to have resolved the issue! No fan issues for 3 days now, below is text I added to my ticket but figured people may find it useful.

I'm sure if anyone else with the issue is willing to confirm or unconfirm my hypothesis (and add pictures!) it would be a great help in getting this issue resolved.

3. nophead

nophead UDOOer

Was the stray loop from the coil near the driver chip? Brushless fan drivers usually have a Hall effect sensor to magnetically sense the position of the rotor. If there was a loop of wire near the sensor it might confuse it.

4. Yiks

Yiks UDOOer

Ok. so much for the guessing. Anyway it's highly likely the fan hardware. When fan failed to spin. I shutdown system. Waited a day making sure I don't bump the machine. Started it up. And the fan wouldnt turn on. I see the twitching. So likely have to take fan apart as in previous two posts. Likely when fan stops in certain positions it may never spin again without help.

5. Yetii

Yetii New Member

It's possible, it was on the on the inside end of the coil and I did notice that on that particular coil I saw 4 wires coming out rather than the 2 I would have expected to see on a coil.

6. KraftSaft

KraftSaft New Member

I have got a response from the Ticket i opened. They will send me a replacement Fan. I hope that its just a faulty fan. That shopuld be easy to replace.

If that is the case i may change the fan to one from Noctua or not if it is not to loud.

7. David Beauchamp

David Beauchamp New Member

Marc,

What fan did you end up getting? I broke a blade on mine last night.

8. marc.d

marc.d UDOOer

David,

I ordered an Acoustifan 6025, that is whisper quiet and works out fine at 5V, although not at it's full potential speed (which it gets when power supply is 12V). This gives me temperatures between about 39 (idle) to 65 (full load) degrees Celcius. This comes with the drawback that it's height is about double the height of the original Cofan fan-unit, so it won't fit the case if you have one.

If you open a ticket for the temperature/fun-unit issue, then udoo is willing to send you a replacement fan-unit.

Good luck,

Marc

9. David Beauchamp

David Beauchamp New Member

Thanks Marc,

I have the case so that won't work out so well for me. I did DM Eva asking to purchase a replacement because it was totally my fault the blade broke. I also reached out to COFAN regarding the part, they have the v. 2 of the fan listed on their site but not the v. 4 that was installed on the Bolt. But they look like they are set up for business to business transactions not retail.

10. Xeyrruken

Xeyrruken UDOOer

Hey did any of you have received word from udoo customer care regarding the fan, they ask me some info and told me the following:
    we apologize for the inconvenience.

A new fan will be shipped as soon as possible, we are arranging shipments at our expenses to all backers who have received a defective one and doing our best to speed up the process.

We will email you the tracking number as soon as assigned.

That was more than a month ago.

11. Herbert Hotz

Herbert Hotz UDOOer

Hi Xeyrruken,
    I had the same issue and opened a ticket like you did and I got the same response.
    After about 2 weeks after I opened the ticket, I've got a replacement fan (same type, same manufacturer) which did not have the reported problem. Keep waiting - they will send you one! ;)

Best regards,
    Herbert

Xeyrruken likes this.
  12. Xeyrruken

Xeyrruken UDOOer

Lets, it has been a Month since they wrote to me that, and two weeks since I Order the case, they have told me that there are problems with shipping logistics or something like that. @evaloverde any updates regarding the shipping issue?

13. Alan Wong

Alan Wong New Member

It took a bit longer than I thought it would but I did get the replacement fan and power cord (separate issue) and everything seems to be fine now.

evaloverde likes this.
  14. OlivierP

OlivierP UDOOer

yep same here - green dot. I will open a ticket...

evaloverde and waltervl like this.
  15. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer