A Simple Case Mod You May Like to Use

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by FirstGenGeek, Apr 30, 2017.

1. FirstGenGeek

FirstGenGeek Member

I always liked the new UDOO X86 case design because I knew I could either stack multiple case bottoms; or simply replace the risers to provide space for a 2.5” SATA HDD under the mainboard. Actually all I did was replace the 4 x 12mm corner risers that come with the case with 25mm long nylon pieces. See attached photos.

It should be noted that all the flat head screws and spacers used are M3 threaded; and there are already 4 additional holes on the UDOO X86 case bottom to mount a standard 2.5” drive.

Note 1: I used 3 x 3mm long M3 screws, 2 x M3 washers, and a 6mm spacer to mount the two M.2 devices; 4 x 8mm long M3 screws with M3 nut spacers to mount the SATA drive to the base; and 6mm long M3 screws and M3 nuts for everything else.
    x86a1.jpg

x86b1.jpg
    Note 2: You can barely see where I attached the 2 antennas along the side (white wire) and rear (black wire) edges of the case bottom with the foil pointing inward.

Note 3: I installed Win10 version 1703 on a SATA HDD and Ubuntu 16.04.2 on a 32GB M.2 SSD.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
    rotorbudd, Asier, Triodefreak and 4 others like this.
  2. fabio978

fabio978 Member

I was thinking to do the same to fit a SATA SSD under the board. I don't know why the case isn't provided with longer spacers/risers by default...

3. Brad

Brad New Member

A suggestion to UDOO: pre-drill the base for a 2.5" drive and provide both a short and long set of nylon standoffs.

4. FirstGenGeek

FirstGenGeek Member

The bottom of their acrylic case is pre-drilled for mounting a standard 2.5" drive. With respect to the risers, I think UDOO could supply an assortment of M3 spacers/screws/nuts as an add-on, but IMO they will never be able to meet everyone's needs since this is a "makers" product.

Last edited: May 5, 2017
    waltervl likes this.
  5. Robert Pearson

Robert Pearson Member

rotorbudd likes this.
  6. Brad

Brad New Member

Yeah. Brass stand offs are nice. I did a similar thing and got nylon since I wasn't sure about conductivity at or near the mount points.

7. itimpi

itimpi UDOOer

rotorbudd likes this.
  8. Joerg Jungermann

Joerg Jungermann UDOOer

Hi,
    very cool mod!
    Do have specs for reproducing the laser cut plastic cases/plates. I ordered the metal case and did not get a plastic casing.

9. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

LDighera and rotorbudd like this.