UEFI Boot issue with newer LInux Kernals

Discussion in 'UDOO BOLT' started by DracoLlasa, Nov 3, 2019.

1. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

with a lot of Linux Distros i have been trying, i continue to run into this issue on booting from the usb drive with the install media
    Code:
    Couldn't get size: 0x800000000000000e
    MODSIGN: Couldn't get UEFI db list
    Couldn't get size: 0x800000000000000e

obligatory googling has shown that its an issue getting keys or something from the bios with distros using kernel 4.12+ and while this seems to align with what i have seen kernel wise, i haven't done a lot of validation.

All of the fixes have been along the lines of setting secure boot to standard and then disabling it, which i have done, as well as trying to enable legacy boot, and while i don't always get the above message, it always fails to boot the live cd

other boot failures leave a blank screen, so no info to add.

has this been encountered and fixed by anyone?
    it it a known issue with UDOO BOLT?

2. Deluxe

Deluxe UDOOer

I don't think this is big issue or Bolt specific. I'm getting this both on my desktop (AMD) and notebook (Intel) as I have disabled secure boot on both.

3. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

its def not only an issue with UDOO, what im wondering is, if there is a UDDO specific reason disabling secure boot does not resolve it.

4. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

Yep, there is a fairly strict control of Windows releases (and kernel versions only from a single vendor: Microsoft) and
    there are garden varieties of Linux/Unix/FreeBSD/etc. distributions and standard/non-standard kernels.
    Thus Secure Boot has meaningful use cases on one and less on the other.

The following came from Ubuntu, but you can get the gist:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UEFI/SecureBoot

5. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

I'm familiar with the issue, what I'm wondering is if other are having this issue with UDOO or have encountered and got past it?
    As mentioned I have set secure boot to standard and set it to disabled and a number of similar things yet I still can't boot up a number of Linux distro live CDs.

Is there something specific with UDOO I should know about or do I need to submit a support ticket

6. Deluxe

Deluxe UDOOer

I would guess that the issue might be somewhere else than "secure boot". I had no issues with Ubuntu 18.04 from UDOO Bolt docs (note that it has modified kernel) and latest Manjaro (kernel 5.3.X) worked without issues aswell. Which distributions have you tried?

7. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

The one I'm trying now is Elementary, but Pop and I think Deepin had the same issues.
    Fedora worked, and I think like you, Manjaro worked, but I can't recall that one for sure

8. Deluxe

Deluxe UDOOer

Is it possible that you are hitting GPU driver issue? I think you would want something like 4.16.X (not verified) for proper "amdgpu" up-stream driver to work properly with V1000 (and I probably wouldn't go for anything below 5.X). Have you tried "nomodeset" as suggested here: https://www.udoo.org/docs-bolt/Operating_Systems/Linux/Known_issues.html

9. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

Based on the initial error, it's pretty clear that it's a uefi boot issue, lots have reported the same, it's just the common fix(es) aren't working.
    As for GPU, I don't know, I have seen anything that would imply that, and the main issue is that the various live CDs won't boot