Serial from the ARM part (not from the Arduino)

Discussion in 'UDOO 101' started by nikodll, Jan 8, 2014.

1. nikodll

nikodll New Member

Hello,

First, a brief explanation of what I'm trying to achieve. I need a long-range wireless connection from Udoo to my computer.

Right now I use for that a 433MHz module that connects the integrated Arduino to my machine via a Serial interface (emulated by an FTDI chip), so that I can send the data back and forth. Now, I would like to do the same, but connect to the ARM part (that runs an OS). Ideally I would have the same serial interface on Udoo's Ubuntu as on my own x86 Linux machine and communicate to that Serial interface from the latter. Is it possible? Do we have some pins I could the same wireless chip I used on Arduino connect to?

Otherwise, I can imagine I would have to use some usb dongle that connects wirelessly to another one that I stick into my x86 machine. If the first option is not possible, I would appreciate for any advice about such USB devices, especially about the ones that could emulate Serial interface, because I already have quite some code ready that reads and sends data from/to Serial interface.

Thank you very much to everyone reading this post in advance for any help.

2. mrar

mrar New Member

you can used the same wireless usb dongle that you plug to x86 Linux machine for UDOO board.

3. nikodll

nikodll New Member

Thank you for your answer, mrar.

You mean in the reverse direction? The dongle connects USB port on my x86 to COM port on arduino. I could connect the USB to UDOO's USB, but then I need a com-port on my x86 machine, which is not the case at the moment. Besides, AFAIK standard com-port uses 12v power, and my dongles I think expects like 5/3.3v... But maybe I can find some board/cable/adapter that converts USB to 3.3v COM? And then I could even keep using the COM-side dongle on UDOO from the ARM part? Will this one do the trick: http://www.robotshop.com/ca/en/ftdi-usb ... -3-3v.html

4. mrar

mrar New Member

sorry misunderstanding, my mistake. can u make me clear about this,

1)what type of 433MHZ wireless module and arduino did you used?
    2)from my understanding, u want to remotely control ur udoo board using 433MHZ wireless module right?

5. nikodll

nikodll New Member

To be very precise, the exact module I use is this one: https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/sto ... _V1_1.html
    The arduino is the one that the UDOO board has. So, in a way I already can control my UDOO from my computer, but only if I connect the module to arduino, and write an arduino C program. Now I want to write some Java program and run it on UDOO, and control this Java program wirelessly from my computer. So I am looking for some TTL pins where I can connect my module at, and access it from UDOO's debian (i.e. from my Java program, running on UDOO). I hope that clarifies something :)

6. mrar

mrar New Member

from the link did you give me, it has two type right? TTL type and FTDI type. For FTDI type just connect directly to your USB udoo board and no need extra circuit. If TTL type module u need extra circuit such as http://www.robotshop.com/ca/en/ftdi-usb-to-ttl-serial-cable-5v.html because ur wireless module working on 5V before connect to UDOO usb port. If u a planning to connect ur TTL wireless module to the ARM(That run OS) GPIO pin u need to connect to the pin that have label UART at GIPO 158,159 or 160,161. Please read the UDOO starting manual for detail explanationhttp://udoo.org/download/files/Documents/UDOO_Starting_Manual_beta0.4_11_28_2013.pdf before make any connection and programming . If i'm not mistake voltage logic level for GPIO pin is 3.3V(Need to clarify with developer) and ur wireless module is 5v. U need to convert that voltage logic level from 5v to 3.3v by clamping the wireless module TX line with the diode zener 3.3v. I hope with that little information will help you...

7. EchoWarp

EchoWarp New Member

If you are not using the Due part at all, you can use its TX (TX0) and RX (RX0) as the RX and TX respectively. Notice that they are backwards though! It will show up as /dev/ttymxc3.

If you the Due part has a sketch on it currently, upload a blank setup() {} and loop() {} sketch so that it does not attempt to use the serial at all.

This is not ideal, but it does not require recompiling the linux kernel (which is needed in order to use the other RX/TX pins) or any extra hardware (ftdi).