Initial Boot Problem

Discussion in 'UDOO BOLT' started by Petter1, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Petter1

Petter1 UDOOer

Hello everyone,,
    I'm going to start by copying/pasting my posts from the Kickstarter comment section to keep everything together.

First:
    Got my bolt and went to boot it today. Get a green light, but it doesn't seem to post. After about 7-8 seconds the fan spins up. It "booted" once. I got the "Press any key to boot from CD/DVD..." message, and then my Windows install USB drive bluescreened. After that, no post. I tried both USB-C ports for power, both DDR slots, with and without my USB install drive, disconnected the BIOS battery and plugged it back in, but it doesn't change.

I was thinking it didn't like my RAM, but really confused by the fact that it seemed to boot the first time. I'll try to play around more when I have time, but I'm open to any suggestions.
    Second:
    Well, I thought that there was a chance that it was my power supply. I was using a PD adapter that delivers 60W. It's enough to run my Latitude 7880 and a MacBook pro, so I figured it would work. I finally borrowed an 87W MacBook Pro adapter from a guy at work. It's been sitting on the UDOO BOLT screen for several minutes, and nothing. I get a little A0 on top of what looks like either a B1 or B4 in the bottom right corner. The fan stays spun up, but I can hear a very faint "surge" in the fan every 2-3 seconds. I'll try supplying power via the DC port as soon as I get an adapter. If that doesn't do it, I'll try a different RAM stick next.
    Third:
    Well, I'm about out of ideas. I removed the single 16gb module and replaced it with 2x 4GB modules that were in my NUC. No change. I then tried using my HP laptop power adapter. It provides 19V at 3.33A. No change. With and without my NVME drive installed, no change. With or without bootable USB drive, no change. Using HDMI or USB-C for video, no change. Same results each time. At first boot after plugging in the power adapter I get a blank screen. If I power it off and back on without disconnecting power, the UDOO Bolt logo appears, then a B4 with an A0 on top of it in the lower right corner.

I can move this over to the forum if the conversation is better there, but I'm not sure where to go from here. The board has only gotten through post about 3 times total, but immediately blue-screens.

Now...

It's working, and I have no idea why. All of a sudden after resetting BIOS and several cycles of adding/removing power and turning it on and off, it booted into BIOS. I put (almost) everything back the way it was when I first tried, and it's still working.

I ran into issues installing Ubuntu Desktop 19.04, but I was able to install Fedora Workstation 30 on my NVME drive without any issues.

2. Petter1

Petter1 UDOOer

Thank you my issue has been solved,...