Can't install Windows 10 on M2 SSD

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Mark B, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Stefano73

Stefano73 UDOOer

Please read my answer to your answer carefully :D
    I don't want to install Ubuntu on my M2 drive, I don't want use my M2 drive, I'll detach it from Udoo and use it in another PC.
    The link in your post talk about installing a general bootloader in EMMC but this work only if you have an OS already installed and I think works only with MBR
    I don't have an OS installed and want to install Ubuntu on my internal 32GB EMMC in EFI mode
    Do you know why it doesn't start after successfully installed?
    There is a guide to install Linux on internal EMMC without using M2 or SD or Sata drive?

2. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Option 1. The installation of Windows prevents you of installing Ubuntu. So first remove Windows and then install Ubuntu (on eMMC).
    Option 2. You are running an old uefi version (<1.03) that does not support eMMC correctly resulting in not being able to select the eMMC device at installation.
    So first update uefi then. Instructions are in the documentation. You probably also already want to remove the small oartion on the eMMC as it contains a test for quality testing in the factory. For the rest it should be a straight forward installation.

I linked the thread to prove you that the Udoo X86 supports multiple OS as that was something you read that was not possible. Or I misunderstood your question.

3. Stefano73

Stefano73 UDOOer

Option 1. Checked! I removed the M2 drive. At this time my Udoo has only the 32GB eMMC. Result: Same as in my first post
    Option 2. Checked! I have the version 1.06

The eMMC is formatted in all possible mode that I know before try to install Ubuntu

Note: I know that Udoo X86 supports multiple OS. I didn't say or think that is not possible.
    But I cannot found a way to install the first Linux OS in eMMC ;)

4. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

5. Stefano73

Stefano73 UDOOer

Sorry, but my USB stick is perfect
    I tested it on another PC and Ubuntu installed without any problem
    On Udoo x86 Ubuntu start without problem in live from the USB

As I said the installation proceed without problems, even the restart works perfectly, but after this... :(o_O

6. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

So to recap:
    1. You startup Ubuntu live from USB but can only use safe graphics mode. (This is not normal)
    2. You install Ubuntu from live USB. Installation is succesfull and Ubuntu starts (normal desktop mode?)
    3. You shutdown the Udoo. Remove USB device and start Udoo again. What do you see?

7. Stefano73

Stefano73 UDOOer

Recap:
    1. Yes, I startup Ubuntu live from USB but can only use safe graphics mode, in normal mode I see only black screen with scattered colored pixel
    2. Yes, I install Ubuntu from live USB in my eMMC drive (the only drive available)
    2 bis. NO Ubuntu didn't start after installation and reboot
    3. After restart without USB stick inserted I can see only the message No bootable device

At this point I think that my Udoo has something break :(

8. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

To be sure I would make a new Ubuntu Live USB (perhaps 18.04.LTS) and boot from it. It should work normally, no need to use safe graphics mode. It works on mine.

9. Stefano73

Stefano73 UDOOer

I tried with Ubuntu 18.04 Live
    it starts with the menu without problems
    but at the start of the live the following writings appear and remains there forever (I waited more than half an hour):
    Code:
    usb 1-3: device descriptor read/64, error -110
    sd 2:0:0:0: [sda] No Caching mode page foud
    sd 2:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through

10. Jean-Denis Muys

Jean-Denis Muys UDOOer

I am stuck at Windows install and I am desperate to find a solution. The windows installer sees two drives: 119.2 GB (unallocated space) which is the M.2 drive I guess; and 29.1 GB (unallocated space) which is what? eMMC? (I didn't even know that I had an eMMC drive).

Now when I select the 119.2 GB drive and click "Next", I get a progress windows which stops at 0% with "The installation was canceled", "Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation. To install Windows, restart the installation".

Same thing if I try to install on the 29.1 GB drive.

What am I missing?

Thanks a million

11. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

The getting started guide video says you have to first delete the partitions.
    http://www.udoo.org/get-started-x86/ Chapter Four, min 2:14.

12. Jean-Denis Muys

Jean-Denis Muys UDOOer

Yes, I delete all the partitions beforehand. The problem still happens

13. Jean-Denis Muys

Jean-Denis Muys UDOOer

I made a view of the failure:

As you can see on the video, I delete all the partitions before I start the install process. I tried everything I could think of, but failed to make any progress.

Also here I can post a photo of the screens of the BIOS if that can be useful.
    Any suggestion?

14. Jean-Denis Muys

Jean-Denis Muys UDOOer

To be precise, I always get a Windows alert with the following message:

"Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation. To install Windows, restart the installation".

15. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

Please download the Win10 ISO as a single file (when using MS creation tool.)
    Then use Rufus ( <-- this is key) to create the USB installation media.

BTW, what is the make/model of your M.2 SSD?

16. Jean-Denis Muys

Jean-Denis Muys UDOOer

I eventually managed to install Windows, with two changes:

1- I created a new boot SD card using Windows instead of my Mac. This is a real PITA because I didn't have Windows. This was the reason to install Windows on the UDOO in the first place. So I ended buying the Parallels Desktop Virtual Machine software for my Mc, create a Windows VM on my Mac, and follow the UDOO instructions to create the SD Card on it using Microsoft Media Creation Tool. This is a major bummer. Cost money and a truckload of time.
    2- I switched from a 128GB SD card to a 8 GB SD card. Is that material? Maybe because the Microsoft Media Creation Tool didn't allow me to format my 128GB SD Card using the FAT 32 disk format as instructed in the UDOO material. It only allowed xFAT.

I have no idea which of those 2 changes made the crucial difference, or even if both were required.

So caveat emptor

Thanks for your suggestions

17. shubharora734

shubharora734 New Member

I forgot to mention that I've used one of my 2.5" SSDs and installed Windows without any problems.

18. mahtovid

mahtovid New Member

I have a brand new x370 build and have updated the BIOS. I tried to install Windows 10 from the DVD drive. It does not recognize my western digital 500 GB M.2. So, I can't install Windows.