Replacing the fan and Thermal Paste on the UDOO Bolt V8

Discussion in 'UDOO BOLT' started by Cylonmills, Apr 17, 2020.

1. Cylonmills

Cylonmills UDOOer

have just replaced my fan with a sunnon 60mm from the default nasty fan installed as aprt of the kickstarter. Yes its on all the time as its not a 3 pin fan but i would rather have a cool UDOO BOLT thats still much quieter than a fan thats on an/off all the time.

Fan is a : MF60101V1-1000U-A99 60x60x10mm 12V= 27,7m³/h 28,5dBA Sunon =MB60101

https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/Sunon/MF60101V1-1000U-A99?qs=EU6FO9ffTwfZzVq/VzJrBQ==

I also replaced the Paste with some Arctic silver 5 paste and the temp are way better than before. Under prime 95 load it does a max of 56c and min of 34c. i think this is great, and now its ultra quiet.

Awesome.

rdslw and ccs_hello like this.
  2. rdslw

rdslw UDOOer

Thanks for sharing!

Can you write a little more before we all rush to order fans :)
    1. What bios settings do you use for new fan?
    2. What about 4..5s oscillating sound? I managed to find bios options for stock fsn which rotates slowly and quietly while keeping temp around 55C at around 2000rpm. The only bag thing is oscillating sound. Barely hearable but in quiet room can make you cry after an hour ;-)

R

3. linkhuntertwo

linkhuntertwo UDOOer

I bought noctua A6x25 V5 it got 19,3 dBA the issue can't fit in the case I made my own adapter I can leave link if you want to make one too you just need heat shrink and soldering iron

Daniel Szeto likes this.
  4. rdslw

rdslw UDOOer

Bummer.

I'm looking for some fan, which CAN with in the original udoo case :(

5. itimpi

itimpi UDOOer

The Gelid silent 6 just fits although it is a tight fit. Despite officially being a 12v fan it seems to work ok using 5v from the Bolt.

6. PhMenard

PhMenard UDOOer

Late in Dec. I replaced my BOLT V8 fan by the Gelid Silent 6 and the thermal paste. It fits nicely in the case. I updated the BIOS thresholds so the fan is on all the time as I simply cannot hear it. I'm quite happy with this setup but the Gelid is slightly underpowered (5V instead of 12V). During e.g. 30 min of video encoding the CPU does get hot at about 75°C. So I'm still investigating other solutions. I'll probably try the Sunnon since you get a max temp of 56°C.

7. rdslw

rdslw UDOOer

Sunon from the first link is also 12V.