Introduce Yourself

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by delba, May 8, 2013.

1. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

Hi apiram welcome, that's a nice way to use UDOO. We'll help you for sure ;). Cheers

2. Steve1965

Steve1965 New Member

Hi everybody.

I'm Steve from Germany and I just got my Udoo quad a few 2 days ago. My plans are to build a tiny little NAS combined with a VDR (video disk recorder, see http://www.tvdr.de/). I have 2 Technotrend USB S2-3600 satellite adapters that I want to connect to Udoo.

Unfortunately I found out that neither Ubuntu 12.04 nor the Debian wheezy distribution contains the pctv452e kernel module so it seems that there is a bit of work to do for me ... :)

Is there anybody else out having made any experience with Udoo as a VDR?

Cheers, Steve

3. delba

Hi Steve1965, welcome in UDOO community. Feel free to ask or share anything related to your project.

4. ram_tenet

ram_tenet New Member

Hi Community,

I am Ram from Tenet Technetronics Bangalore India. Tenet is one of the official distributors for UDOO in India.

I work as a technical evangelist and also responsible for leading the team delivering support as well as delivering workshops on popular development platforms !

If you are in India and want to checkout the board in person please visit our office and we will be more than happy to demonstrate the board in action also stay tuned to our blogs for the latest workshops on the udoo platform !

Thanks,
    Ram

5. markushuisman

markushuisman New Member

Hi i am Mark from the the Netherlands.

I have mechanical en business degrees and have worked on mechanical projects in automotive industries. Now developing en managing projects that are related to building underground specialized in watermanagement. Groundwaterlevels are high and complex so every build has challenges related to extracting water. This sector is underveloped for as fas as automating so i am trying make adifference here.
    Problem for now is that i have zero experience with electic development and coding (besides coding a calculater and a basic html site).
    But since i am keen to learn i am willing to work hard.

Raspberry seemed intereseting for a while but the udoo seems to be the best for what i want.

I hope to learn from the community and then sharing in return.

Hope to speak to you guys soon.

Greets Mark

6. delba

Hi ram_tenet welcome, nice to have someone from Tenet in our Forum.

Hi markushuisman welcome, you'll find lots of people willing to help you in your project.

7. olson88

olson88 New Member

Hi All,

I'm Austin, currently a student at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah and studying Manufacturing Engineering. I am also an intern at Blendtec, maker of the world's best, most powerful, and most totally awesome blenders (YouTube us)!

I actually don't have a UDOO. Not yet, at least. I am very interested in learning to code. In my field, knowing how to program microcontrollers or how to build test fixtures is VERY valuable, and I'm hoping to expand my education by learning some of these skills.

I would define myself as a "closet hacker." I have always been very interested in technology, not so much in having the latest and greatest but more in how things work...in what is going on under the hood. Lubuntu Linux powers my aging, 5+ year old netbook, I don't have a smart phone, and for some reason I'd way rather struggle to use a piece of open source software than easily complete a task with a perfected commercial product.

I was originally looking into getting a Raspberry Pi, learning some more Linux tricks, then getting an Arduino such as an UNO and learning the microcontroller tricks. Then I was looking into the Raspberry Pi and a Gertduino add on board, combining everything into one package. Then I came across the UDOO...and all that horsepower just seems so tempting! I really like the concept of developing, compiling, and running code all from one platform. And to be honest, the UDOO is probably more capable than my netbook (I can't even watch Youtube without issues). I don't even have any high-power projects in mind yet, but my wheels are turning...

What I am hoping to get out of a UDOO (probably a Quad)
    -Learn Python and eventually C
    -Learn how to exploit the advantage of a real-time computer (the DUE side of things) and a microprocessor (the i.MX 6 side of things) to do my bidding, and learn how to use both at the same time
    -Look into the possibilities of the UDOO and home automation
    -Learn the basics of networking and digital communication
    -Use an UDOO at work to build some sort of cool test fixture that blows the minds of the other engineers!

I'm saving my pennies (which can be hard to come by when in school, married, with one kid and another on the way ANY day now) and hopefully a UDOO quad is in my future! Then I can really develop this passion and hobby that will probably consume most of my free time.

Peace

8. delba

Hi olson88 welcome, of course i know Blendtec, will it blend is hilarious :D.

If you wanna start with UDOO you should take a look here: http://www.udoo.org/tutorials/ We're making tons of Tutorials/Projects that could turn your wheels even faster.

9. trn76

trn76 New Member

Hi everyone.

I'm an IT-Consulant / Technician in a small company located in Norway.

There alot of stuff I do, like I'm drifting a complete ISP - includes everything out to the borderrouter (except administration! ;)
    I've got serveral certifications on MikroTik - that is alost all the networking gear I use - but I also got alot of experience with Canopy Motorola.
    I've been programming for 20 years, starting with assembler on Amiga... Nowdays I use FPC.
    Playing a bit with Arduino and electronics - using Raspberry Pi now, and been developing a 2D/3D engine for it, also runs on windows (was hoping to port it to Udoo).

Yeah... blah blah.. I do alot of stuff, and sense that I move more and more away from Windows and into the world of Linux :)

- TRN

10. foxkid

foxkid New Member

I find that I must post a reply before I can start a new topic.
    I am a hardware/software/compiler/FPGA/real-time/embedded/robotics/CNC engineer who has been playing in these grounds for about 47 years. I have a pressing question that I have been fighting against for 2 weeks. I have searched forums, but don't find anything directly related.
    If I am granted posting permission, I will use that permission to detail my problem.

11. delba

Hi foxkid welcome, of course you can (you already did).

12. delba

Hi TRN welcome, enjoy our community ;)

13. livio.dalvia

livio.dalvia New Member

Hi!!
    I'm Livio from Rome, Italy.
    I am a electronic engineer with passion for "electronic DIY".
    I love your idea!!!

Bye

14. delba

Hi Livio from Rome, welcome ;)

15. andypugh

andypugh New Member

Quick intro: I am Andy, based in the UK.
    I sold my first program in 1984, but I have never been a professional programmer. Currently I work as an engine development engineer for the best selling car in the world.
    I am one of the Developers of LinuxCNC, and I see a lot of ppotential in a device that can take Arduino shields and run LinuxCNC.
    http://www.linuxcnc.org/
    The combination sounds great for a single-board 3D-printer / engraver / router system.
    I have got as far as getting a Xenomai realtime kernel working, and I am currently working with the Xenomai devs to see how low we can get the latency (currently at 40uS)

16. delba

Welcome andypugh (even if you already joined us long ago ;)

17. DangerousThing

DangerousThing New Member

Hi all,

I'm Jay and my handle comes from the saying "A little learning is a dangerous thing."

I haven't done much programming in a decade since I quit working for Penn State University in order to become my wife's full-time caregiver. Before that I built robots for a hobby and had a few articles published in Servo and even had a robotics book published (the book was half done when Lee became really sick and that killed my concentration).

I've been involved in computers for over 40 years now.

I plan on doing a number of things with my Udoo, mainly involving robotics.

I got my Udoo up and running with a RasPi 7" monitor on the first try with absolutely no instructions. I still have to add a few peripherals, including a 1TB laptop SSB. Then the Udoo 15" monitor.

Another use I have for the Udoo is to monitor my 3d printer (that one hasn't arrived yet so I have a lot of time to get it ready.

One question: how do I run this board under Ubuntu headless?

18. billy4184

billy4184 New Member

Hi, I'm Billy from Brisbane, Australia, currently setting up the Udoo for image processing with openCV. Looking forward to parallel programming capabilities as well.

Cheers

19. delba

20. Bulbox

Bulbox New Member

I hall..i'm Stefano, i'm 25 and i like to do experiments in the field of electronics!! :)