GSM Module

Discussion in 'UDOO BOLT' started by SteveR, May 27, 2020.

1. SteveR

SteveR UDOOer

I want to install a 4g GSM module inot a Bolt V3, can I use one that is intended for use in a laptop with an adapter for PCIe to M.2?

2. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

Re: cellular modem module for laptop
    Note that most of such modules do not have on-board SIM card slot but depend on laptop motherboard located SIM card slot.
    So in such case, BOLT M.2 interface won't work.
    There are some special "USB cellular adapter card" (or very old USB-based 2G cellular modem w/ removable old modem module) that does have SIM card slot which can be repurposed for your use case.

3. SteveR

SteveR UDOOer

The sim card issue can be easily resolved with an adapter;
    Screenshot_20200527-191144_eBay.jpg do you think such an adapter with a 4g card would work in the Bolt?

Thanks

4. SteveR

SteveR UDOOer

But I'm not sure if the mini PCI-e connection as show above is supported on the V3? These adapters only seem to be available in mini PCI-e or USB.

5. SteveR

SteveR UDOOer

Also is it possible to use regular card without sim then use external usb sim reader?

6. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

That adapter is to adapt an M.2 key-A cellular modem to mPCIe, which is not applicable to BOLT.

Re: Also is it possible to use regular card without sim then use external usb sim reader?
    No, you can't. The cellular modem needs to have a direct electrical connection to the SIM card.