Fan issues

Discussion in 'UDOO BOLT' started by paulj, May 30, 2020.

1. paulj

paulj UDOOer

I am in the process of building the system software (gentoo installation, so lots of compiling). I am doing this mostly unattended, and I am finding the device shutdown. It seems the fan doesn't always kick in, and when it doesn't the temperature reaches a point where it auto shuts down. I have a V8 board, which came from the kickstarter. I have the green dot on the side of the fan. I have set the fan according to the instructions for this configuration - 100% speed above the lower temperature - in other words no pwm. Are there issues with some of the fans?

2. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

From the Fan settings page:
    If you are one of the Kickstarter users and you see a Green Dot on one side of the fan, your fan is not handling the PWM speed correctly, so please set the FAN Duty Cycle % Above AC1 to 100 and Speed change duration to 0. If you still have a problem with this fan after applying these settings, please open a ticket in the customer care support center.

3. paulj

paulj UDOOer

Hi waltervl - I had already set the fan according to the specific instructions for kickstarter users, and still getting issues. The only way I was able to finish compiling my system was to set AC1 low enough to ensure more or less 100% operation of the fan. Otherwise it would fail to restart and close down. I have also already created a ticket, having seen some of the other messages in the forum.

Many thanks for your feedback - I am sure this will be resolved soon.

4. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

5. paulj

paulj UDOOer

Hi Walter - thanks for getting back to me. I opened a ticket on the 1st June - #701458. Hopefully this will be addressed soon!

6. paulj

paulj UDOOer

I have received and fitted the new fan provided by Udoo - many thanks! I am very happy with the outcome - the system temperature when under 100% load compiling reached about 60C, and the fan noise is negligible even under these conditions.
    I am now in the process of setting up the headless configuration so I can proceed with my project.
    I have installed Gentoo linux on it, running the latest kernel (5.7.7). If anyone wants more information (for example the kernel .config), let me know.

Zgembo and waltervl like this.