Ubuntu 12.04 Kernel won't compile

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by cam, Jan 26, 2014.

1. cam

cam New Member

Hello,

I'm having trouble compiling the kernel. I've followed the instructions in the following forum post (The user guide doesn't work and jumps over many steps) http://www.udoo.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=798&hilit=compile+kernel

I'm getting a different error.

CC drivers/regulator/dummy.o
    CC drivers/regulator/fixed.o
    CC drivers/rtc/rtc-lib.o
    make[2]: *** No rule to make target `drivers/rtc/class.o', needed by `drivers/rtc/rtc-core.o'. Stop.
    LD drivers/scsi/built-in.o
    make: *** [drivers] Error 2
    root@udoo:/usr/src/kernel#

I'm struggling with the Linux, I'm more of an Arduino guy. I need UART3 working.

any help would be great!

2. flipsa

flipsa New Member

Re: Ubuntu Kernel won't compile

In order to help, more information is needed. Best would be if you listed all the steps you've done (copy and paste if possible).

3. cam

cam New Member

Re: Ubuntu Kernel won't compile

Hello Flipsa,

I successfully built the Kernel last night using the same steps that fail, but I needed to use the Ubuntu 11.10 image instead of the 12 image.

Here are the exact steps from my Build Doc using a clean SD.

Build and use Ubuntu 11.10 SD image
    connect to the network
    Default user/pass is ubuntu/unbuntu
    SUDO SU
    apt-get update --refresh software list using
    mkdir -p /usr/src
    cd /usr/src
    apt-get install build-essential
    apt-get install libncurses5-dev

download and compile the latest boot-mkimage
    wget ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/u-boot/u-boot-2013.10.tar.bz2
    bzip2 -d u-boot-2013.10.tar.bz2
    tar xf u-boot-2013.10.tar
    cd u-boot-2013.10
    make -j5 tools
    cp tools/mkimage /usr/local/bin/
    cd /usr/src/

Download Kernel source from https://github.com/UDOOboard/Kernel_Unico
    open Kernel zip with Xarchiver and put it in a kernel folder via
    cp -r /home/ubuntu/Kernel_unico-master/ /usr/src/
    mv Kernel_Unico-master kernel
    edit/copy board-mx6qd_seco_UDOO.h it its in /kernel/arch/arm/mach-mx6
    cd kernel
    uname -r
    —get kernel version 3.0.35
    make ARCH=arm UDOO_defconfig
    make ARCH=arm menuconfig
    make
    --- CRASHES HERE with the previously mentioned error if using Ubuntu 12 image SD
    make modules_install
    make install
    make -j5 uImage

As you can I see I am not using the cross compiler but compiling everything directly on the UDOO Quad.
    I may stay on Ubuntu 11.10, I find it faster then Ubuntu 12, but there seems to something missing in the 12 image since every time I try to compile it I'd get the "No rule to make target `drivers/rtc/class.o', " errors.

Cam

4. flipsa

flipsa New Member

I've succesfully rebuilt the kernel for Linaro / Ubuntu 12.04 many times already, but have not touched anything related to real-time functionality (but some stuff/modules are already activated AFAIR).

But as long as it works for you now (even with the older 11.10) i guess all is good :)

5. cam

cam New Member

Just a couple more questions for the sake of curiosity. :D

Are you using the Quad source code? and are you compiling on the UDOO itself or using the Cross Compiler?

I'm really curious why the 12.04 build isn't working for me; there must be something different that I'm either using or doing.

I haven't changed anything for the RTC, that's just where it fails in the Make process. I'm just interested in enabling a second serial channel so that I can communicate to a second Arduino via serial.

6. flipsa

flipsa New Member

Yes, I have a quad, too. And yes, I am compiling directly on the udoo. Check out my other posts if you want (e.g. this one: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=821). You'll see, I also ran into a couple of problems, but none like the one you had.

I have not yet had the time to do anything with the Arduino though, so I can't help with that. I already have some ideas for projects, just not the time :(

7. flipsa

flipsa New Member

Oh, I just remembered one thing: when I first downloaded the Unico kernel sources, I downloaded via http from github (and not using git on the command line) and unzipped the sources. As far as i remember, either the download or the unzipping must have gone wrong somehow, because I saw some really weird errors. Only after using git and cloning the sources, everything was smooth. Maybe you can try that, since it seems you also downloaded and unzipped like I did. Not sure though, and it might even have been something unrelated. But it might be worth trying...

8. flipsa

flipsa New Member

Oh, and i noticed one more thing: if you are compiling on the udoo itself, you don't need to specify the target when building the kernel (ARCH=arm). I don't think this should be a problem, but who knows...

9. cam

cam New Member

Thanks, I'll try those things when I get a chance. I agree, so many ideas and so little time.

10. Roelof Berg

Roelof Berg New Member

On Ubuntu 15.04 and UDOO NEO if also saw above's original error message:
    No rule to make target `drivers/rtc/class.o', needed by `drivers/rtc/rtc-core.o'. Stop.
    I followed: http://www.udoo.org/docs/Advanced_Setup/Compile_The_Linux_Kernel_And_The_Modules

(And by the way, I used Ubuntu's cross compiler, because the one provided on the UDOO website isn't compatible to recent 64 bit Ubuntu systems. I did so by apt-get install gcc-arm-linux-gnueabi and then using CROSS_COMPILE=/usr/bin/arm-linux-gnueabi- . Using a generic compiler is ok for me, because it's only for a training.)

Then on the step
    make ARCH=arm menuconfig
    I disabled DeviceDrivers/RealtimeClock

Then it compiles ... at least ...

11. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Dear Roelof,
    you followed the guide for UDOO QUAD. Here's the guide for UDOO NEO.
    Anyway you talk about 15.04. Should I assume you compiled it by yourself?