UDOO x86 Rev H Wifi Card

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Aleksey S, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Aleksey S

Aleksey S UDOOer

Does anyone use UDOO x86 RevH board with Ubuntu 20.04? Looking for a Wifi adapter that works out of the box and does not require any customized compilations or configurations.

2. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

The wifi/Bluetooth adapter from the udoo shop will work with Ubuntu 20.04 At least it worked on my Udoo Bolt. I haven't tried Ubuntu 20.04 on my Udoo X86. On the X86 I am running 18.04 fine with the same wifi/Bluetooth module.

3. Aleksey S

Aleksey S UDOOer

Thank you for the response! I was hoping for something I can order on Amazon. I tried to look up something similar but nothing comes up that would seem a good match.

4. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

5. Aleksey S

Aleksey S UDOOer

I think I've found the match: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079WYD6RR
    This one (Intel 3168NGW IEEE 802.11ac) seem to match UDOO kit with Intel® Dual Band Wireless Wi-Fi kit w/ 3168.NGWG AC.

I've also tried a lot of different things including steps laid out on that Intel page. I've also asked a question on this board with no responses. It looks like Linux is not able to detect hardware, even though BT seems to work.

6. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

7. Aleksey S

Aleksey S UDOOer

What does it mean second hand board? Like if it has been used by someone else?

Yep, it is in the closest header to the board. Also, Bluetooth seems to work so I'd assume its installed properly.

8. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

I am sorry, I thought I read in another thread you did not know what kind of Udoo X86 you had and it was a Kickstarter model. As these were the first models I assumed you bought it second hand.

9. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

So what wifi module do you use now? What is written on it?

10. Aleksey S

Aleksey S UDOOer

Ahh, no, my friend gave it to me in original packaging, unused, still sealed in the anti-static wrapping. Also, since then I figured out that there is a revision written on board, which is Rev H. And if I am not mistaken all boards prior to Rev I are original UDOO x86 I
    Currently I have Intel Model AX200NGW. It's this one - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TLBNSZQ. I have also just purchased Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 9260 NGW (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FMKHKQY). Will see if that works.

11. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Both wifi module have known issues with older Ubuntu versions.
    But 20.04 should work.

Still check for UEFI update, it will also help with other issues.

12. Aleksey S

Aleksey S UDOOer

I'll definitely do that. Thanks!

13. Aleksey S

Aleksey S UDOOer

Just updated UEFI BIOS to version 1.06 and also received a new card. Still no luck with either cards. With both cards Bluetooth seems to work but Ubuntu does not seem to want to work with wifi part of it. I was considering getting yet another wifi adapter from udoo shop this time though. But with $11 shipping and handling, no returns and no guarantee its going to work I am reluctant to get an official one from there.

While poking around in BIOS I've noticed an option to enable Wifi on M.2, but it is already turned on.
    Are there any other settings I may want to check in BIOS?
    Are there any hardware pins that may enable/disable Wifi?

Could someone confirm that the cards are supposed to work on Rev H of UDOO x86 out of the box?
    How do I make sure that firmware loading is enabled at all? Search results in google seem to return overly complicated responses.

Apologies for so many questions but I am starting to pull my hair out out of desperation.

14. Aleksey S

Aleksey S UDOOer

After looking at RevH schematics I actually came across something interesting. I am hoping someone can clear it up.
    upload_2020-7-1_3-5-8.png
    See WIFI_DISABLE and WIFI_KILL. What do those mean?

15. Aleksey S

Aleksey S UDOOer

16. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

17. Aleksey S

Aleksey S UDOOer

Hmm, I do hope that this is related but its not exactly the same. I do not even get the wifi adapter in the additional drivers screen like it mentions on the bug page and in the screenshot. It's just as if the adapter is not there. :(

I also believe that I did apt-get upgrade at some point. I could do it again though to make sure.

18. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

All guessing...

If key-E's pin 56 got pulled down, the WiFi card will be disabled.
    That signal came from Braswell SoC thru its GPIO multiplexing scheme. If it is doen incorrectly, and that pin got pulled low, the WiFi module will be disabled.
    A common trick is the "nail polisher" trick. Put a tiny dip on WiFi card's pin 56, let it dry thoroughly and give it a try.

19. Aleksey S

Aleksey S UDOOer

I actually found a manual with more details on that pin and measured it with a multimeter. Both BT and Wifi are high (~3.3 v).

A nail polisher trick you mean just to clean it for better contact, right? Would be surprised if that is the case though.

20. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

Sorry I meant nail polish (the lacquer.) sed to form a thin coating to block electrical signal.
    In your case, since pin 56 is logic high, your WiFi card is not disabled. So never mind.