Boot problems with Windows 10 and vt-x enabled

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by itimpi, Jun 3, 2020.

1. itimpi

itimpi UDOOer

I have a problem with the latest Windows 10 (2004) build released a few days ago in that if I enable vt-x in the x86 Bios, Windows 10 then refuses to boot and goes into an endless “Repair” cycle. If I disable vt-x then Windows 10 boots just fine. This used to work fine with earlier Windows 10 versions and I had used the facility to enable me to run Docker Desktop and VMs on my x86, and I now want to utilise WSL2 which requires vt-x to be enabled.

Anyone else come across this and have a solution?

2. Zitt

Zitt UDOOer

The Udoo owners would need to confirm... and/or you'd want to confirm the exact needs.

The N3710 cpu claims to support Intel® Virtualization Technology (VT-x) ‡Yes
    but does not support
    Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d) ‡No
    So I'm unsure exactly what WSL2 needs. It's possible that WSL2 requires something new that either the Udoo bios can't enable; or requires a reinstall of Windows clean with VT-x enabled.

3. itimpi

itimpi UDOOer

I have been using virtualisation for ages on my x86 machine as long as I has v5-x enabled in the BIOS. It has just that Windows has stopped working with the latest May 2020 release.

4. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

Hmmm... leading and bleeding edge tech syndrome.

5. Mathieu LeBlanc

Mathieu LeBlanc UDOOer

Hi All, I got the Bolt-V8 this week, installed several linux distributions but not able to get my USB monitor to work. So ended up slapping a fresh copy of Win 10 Pro. Now I am also trying to install WSL2 for windows. WSL install went ok but now i am trying to enable WSL2 in windows 10 but it complains about not having virtualization not enabled. For the sake of me, i can't find this option in the BIOS. I see you indicated V5-x enabled. which menu option would this be?

6. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

For BOLT (AMD CPU), the term is AMD-V.

BTW, you are in UDOO x86 subforum, which is the wrong subforum for Bolt.

7. itimpi

itimpi UDOOer

I have found that if you do not have Hyper-V or the Virtual Machine Platform Windows 10 components enabled then I can boot Windows 10 even with VTX-2 enabled in the x86 BIOS. This means I can run VMs under VirualBox but not under Hyper-V and I cannot use the WSL2 (Windows Sub-System for Linux) so still not ideal. Since this USED to work it obviously something in the latest Windows release that has caused the problem. It is reported to Microsoft so it will be interesting to see if a fix materialises at some point.

8. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

Win 10 is constantly evolving, thus it's a (Windows) OS as a Service.
    Whoever grabs the underlay hypervisor (enabled by VT-x) will have he ultimate power (dominate :).