Debian Jessie rootfs with GPU/VPU

Discussion in 'Debian' started by jas-mx, Dec 31, 2013.

1. rcfgnu

rcfgnu New Member

Im sorry, ssh is ok and start on boot the problem was the network configuration that was not active at boot I had to turn it on by adding
    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static

2. rcfgnu

rcfgnu New Member

I expected Vivante but glxinfo:
    OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Sandybridge Mobile
    OpenGL version string: 1.4 (3.0 Mesa 9.2.1)

3. Flamenawer

Flamenawer Member

Thank you for the img, the more fastest, I am trying to install ROS Hydro Full.
    How I can set rosolution to 1366x768? What kernel is best, stock or your? Is posible xbox pad drivers,overclock,new governors....?

4. jrk

jrk New Member

I started a kernel compile. WOW those are a lot of options for the make config. I gave up due to ignorance on what set I would really want for the udoo. Is there an accepted practice for communicating/storing kernel options for different platforms. As I mentioned in my previous post it's been about 10 years since I've had to compile a kernel, think pre-SATA, pre-USB3…..

5. jrk

jrk New Member

Are you positive that isn't a terminal window on your desktop? I'm getting the Vivante on mine every time. Mine looks like this,

Code:
    client glx vendor string: Vivante Corp
    client glx version string: 1.4
    client glx extensions:
        GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, GLX_SGIX_pbuffer,
        GLX_SGI_make_current_read
    GLX version: 1.4
    GLX extensions:
        GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, GLX_SGIX_pbuffer, GLX_SGI_make_current_read
    OpenGL vendor string: Vivante Corporation
    OpenGL renderer string: GC2000 Graphics Engine
    OpenGL version string: 2.1 2.0.1
    OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20
    OpenGL extensions:GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, GLX_SGIX_pbuffer, GLX_SGI_make_current_read
    OpenGL vendor string: Vivante Corporation
    OpenGL renderer string: GC2000 Graphics Engine
    OpenGL version string: 2.1 2.0.1

6. jas-mx

jas-mx Active Member

Updated original post with instructions for building my kernel and modules.

You can set the resolution in the boot.scr file. See the original post section "Instructions for building an image :" on how to change the resolution.
    My kernel works, the stock kernel may or may not work. See original post for building my kernel.
    Not sure about xbox pad drivers.
    You can't overclock the imx6 without possiblity damaging it.
    Governors can be set in the kernel and controlled using the debian cpufrequtils package.

It is not worth trying to get default debian xbmc package working on this distro. The package is not compiled for i.mx6 VPU support and will resort to s/w video decoding unlike Stephan's xbmc image. Previously Stephan helped me get his earlier xmbc builds working on a older unbuntu release (for GK802). It may be possbile to do this again however this is lower down my priority list.

7. jrk

jrk New Member

jas, I can't thank you often enough for your hard work. Your distro has become the distro of choice for me and many others. Once VPU accel is in, I can't see using anything else. Thanks for posting CC instructions, as it turns out, I was doing compilation on the udoo itself.

I did want to point out an issue (not related to your work) that I've seen with screen resolution values. At work, I've got a 27" monitor (ZR2740w) that runs 2560x1440 native. While it can drop down to 1920x1080 (which is the boot.scr I've selected), it doesn't recognize the monitor correctly and drops all the way to 640x480. At home where I've got 1920x1200 monitors, the udoo adapts correctly and runs 1920x1080. I've tried to force different settings in the boot options, but have had very little luck getting anything to stick. Figuring out a way to force a resolution change after boot would be fantastic, even if the udoo thought the monitor couldn't do it. This might be something to add to the pile of things to look at down the road.

Thanks again for all of your efforts.

8. Flamenawer

Flamenawer Member

I tried to get the image to 1366x768, I modified the file, I've also created a new one and I've become an image with the command as explained in the tutorial, I put in root, and home, but the image is always 720p.

Also I have the problem that the performance when opening multiple applications at once, as the browser with multiple tabs, the low performance muchimo to the point of reaching freezing and rebooting. This may not be the image problem, and is something that I have installed. But if anyone pointing it happens the same report it.

9. jas-mx

jas-mx Active Member

If you have a serial console hooked up can you 'pastebin' the kernel output?

10. jrk

jrk New Member

I'm getting this now when I try and upload to the Arduino Due…

Code:
    No device found on ttymxc3
    It used to work. I've even tried to open, compile and load the example program (does nothing).

the device is plainly visible in /dev/.….
    Code:
    dmesg |grep ttymxc3
    returns the following,
    Code:
    imx-uart.3: ttymxc3 at MMIO 0x21f0000 (irq = 61) is a IMX
    Any thoughts?

EDIT: I found a similar post that wasn't directly tied to this OS build so I'm going to leave this one up. In that post the issue was solved by creating a symlink between ttymxc3 and ttyS0. I tried that and it didn't work so I'm going to leave this post open as it might have something to do with this distro. Come to think of it, I've patched so ttymxc3 does show up in the Arduino IDE. I've never even plugged anything into the pins, I was just getting ready to do so after uploading this code…….

11. jas-mx

jas-mx Active Member

It works fine for me, but that's no help to you ;). ... I don't think it is a distro issue.

Can you make sure the sam3x is correctly configure and erased by:

1. Close the serial monitor and unplug J18 jumper. This will allow the communication with the programming port of SAM3X;
    2. Plug the jumper J22 for 1 second, then remove it (to erase the old sketch programmed in SAM3X);
    3. Plug the jumper J16 for 1 second, thend remove it (to reset the SAM3X);

Now try to talk to the SAM3X over the serial port by directly using 'bossac' eg:

Code:
    arduino-1.5.4/hardware/tools/bossac --port=ttymxc3 --info
    It should report something like this:

Code:
    Device       : ATSAM3X8
    Chip ID      : 285e0a60
    Version      : v1.1 Dec 15 2010 19:25:04
    Address      : 524288
    Pages        : 2048
    Page Size    : 256 bytes
    Total Size   : 512KB
    Planes       : 2
    Lock Regions : 32
    Locked       : none
    Security     : false
    Boot Flash   : false

If this fails, then for some reason the SAM3X is not active which may be down to the kernel not initialising it correctly. Which kernel are you using?

12. jrk

jrk New Member

Thanks. I'll try these instructions. I also agree it's probably not the distro since I've been unable to connect via a computer on the USB port with either of the two methods mentioned in the quick start guide. Your instructions are a little different so I'm going to try that before i do an RMA.

UPDATE: YOUR METHOD WORKED PERFECTLY. Apparently the SAM was locked up/upset. Clearing those with J22 and J16 works fine and I'm now able to do the following methods,

1) From a computer with patched IDE
    2) From a computer with unlatched IDE (halting boot process and removing J18)

I tried it from the jessie distro, I must have done an apt upgrade of a package it still reports the same error. I'll redo a fresh distro and test this last step. I'm pretty sure it's something I've done.

UPDATE#2: From the onboard debian when I run bossac I get a very similar result to that posted above, but every time I try and load from the IDE it gives me the No Device found error.

UPDATE#3: I've reset and tried again from Linux. It seems to be working now with proper uploading. I believe this issue is related to the fact that I'm using a serial port tool during boot up on the CN6 connector from my external computer. All previous (a week ago) programming was done with nothing plugged into this port. It's a little annoying to have to clear the thing occasionally, but at least I can avoid an RMA.

UPDATE 4: It get's even stranger. While I am able to upload to the chip once I've done the jumper reset, I am unable to do so a second time without a jumper reset. With my limited testing so far it also appears as though the arduino chip isn't working properly, although the upload writes and verifies 100%. If I check it with bossac first and it returns info, everything works, but after a successful load bossac will return the same device not found error.

13. jas-mx

jas-mx Active Member

Looks like the SAM3X isn't erased/reset when the IDE tries to upload again without having to short the jumpers. It possible to toggle the gpio's through a shell script to achieve the same thing (erase/reset) for example:

Code:
    # export gpio pins for output (only has to be once).
    echo 0 > /sys/class/gpio/export
    echo out > /sys/class/gpio/gpio0/direction

echo 117 > /sys/class/gpio/export
    echo out > /sys/class/gpio/gpio117/direction

#erase sam3x
    echo 1 > /sys/class/gpio/gpio117/value
    sleep 1
    echo 0 > /sys/class/gpio/gpio117/value

#reset sam3x
    echo 0 > /sys/class/gpio/gpio0/value
    echo 1 > /sys/class/gpio/gpio0/value

You can validate it works with bossac. Note: The above may not work if the gpio pins have already been exported by the kernel (which I think may be case with my kernel).

Give it a go!

14. jrk

jrk New Member

Thanks. I'll give it a try and report back. As for the SAM not resetting, it looks like people had this same issue with their board. Given that it exhibits the same behavior regardless of the programming method (1) local, 2) remote computer with iMX6 stopped or 3) remote computer with patched bossac) I'm going to chalk it up to a firmware issue at this point. I have been able to confirm that the chip does still work, even though I can't seem to get my neopixel shield to behave.

15. AntennaSmith

AntennaSmith New Member

jas-mx:

Thanks so much for this image. Besides ubuntu 12.04 LTS, its the only Linux build I could get to work without random kernel panics.

I installed the Arduino IDE using the instructions from here: http://www.udoo.org/install-the-arduino-ide-hfp/

However, it only works if I run it as root. Under the debian user account I get permission denied errors for /sys/gpio/gpioxx/xxx when trying to upload a sketch. These file entries are owned by root, have root group and full permissions for everyone.

Not sure how to fix this as I read any changes may be reset upon reboot. I'm a bit of a noob here.

Any advice?

Thanks

16. jas-mx

jas-mx Active Member

Hi, unfortunately I don't have a UDOO at hand to test/diagnose so can't give you an answer. I posted some instructions for installing Arduino IDE in the first post (first page) may be worth trying those.

17. AntennaSmith

AntennaSmith New Member

Jas-mx/jrk:
    I re-installed the arduino ide per jas-mx instructions. I now seem to be getting errors similar to what jrk expeirenced with "no device found on ttymxc3".
    I also found the following:
    The bossac that comes with the arduino HFP install (bossac-hfp)is 416.4 kb while the one from jas-mx's instructions(bossac-jas) is 82.6 kb.
    If I run :
    Code:
    debian@debian-imx6:~$ /opt/arduino-1.5.4/hardware/tools/bossac-jas --port=ttymxc3 --info

debian@debian-imx6:~$ sudo /opt/arduino-1.5.4/hardware/tools/bossac-jas --port=ttymxc3 --info

debian@debian-imx6:~$ /opt/arduino-1.5.4/hardware/tools/bossac-hfp --port=ttymxc3 --info
    sh: 1: cannot create /sys/class/gpio/gpio117/direction: Permission denied
    sh: 1: cannot create /sys/class/gpio/gpio117/value: Permission denied
    sh: 1: cannot create /sys/class/gpio/gpio117/direction: Permission denied
    sh: 1: cannot create /sys/class/gpio/gpio0/direction: Permission denied
    sh: 1: cannot create /sys/class/gpio/gpio0/value: Permission denied
    sh: 1: cannot create /sys/class/gpio/gpio0/value: Permission denied

Inner erase and reset routine:  failed

debian@debian-imx6:~$ sudo /opt/arduino-1.5.4/hardware/tools/bossac-hfp --port=ttymxc3 --info

Inner erase and reset routine:  successiful!!
    Device       : ATSAM3X8
    Chip ID      : 285e0a60
    Version      : v1.1 Dec 15 2010 19:25:04
    Address      : 524288
    Pages        : 2048
    Page Size    : 256 bytes
    Total Size   : 512KB
    Planes       : 2
    Lock Regions : 32
    Locked       : none
    Security     : false
    Boot Flash   : false

After I get the above successful response the IDE (when run as a normal debian user) will upload successfully one time, it then reports "no device on ttymxc3" again until I rerun the sudo on bossac-hfp again.

weird.....

18. jas-mx

jas-mx Active Member

Looks like bossac-hfp now contains similar code to the erase/reset instructions I posted further up this page for the SAM. What happens if you run the following as debian user:

Code:
    # export gpio pins for output (only has to be once).
    echo 0 > /sys/class/gpio/export
    echo out > /sys/class/gpio/gpio0/direction

echo 117 > /sys/class/gpio/export
    echo out > /sys/class/gpio/gpio117/direction

#erase sam3x
    echo 1 > /sys/class/gpio/gpio117/value
    sleep 1
    echo 0 > /sys/class/gpio/gpio117/value

#reset sam3x
    echo 0 > /sys/class/gpio/gpio0/value
    echo 1 > /sys/class/gpio/gpio0/value

and then run bossac-jas?

19. AntennaSmith

AntennaSmith New Member

As debian user I can't write to these files.

the permissions for /sys/class/gpio/export are --w------- with root as owner

Hence the problem appears to be permissions. If they shouldn't be as above then I don't know how they were changed, or what they should be set to.

20. AntennaSmith

AntennaSmith New Member

Update:

I did sudo chmod -R 777 * in the /sys/class/gpio directory.

Now it seems to work OK.

I still don't know why the permissions were set as they were. I did do an apt-get update; apt-get upgrade after I installed your image. Could that have set them as root write only?